Paulina Tarot Study Group~The Lovers

HearthCricket

My thoughts on The Lovers!

Yet another enchanting card with a lot of movement to it! A pair of lovers are encircled by quite the fantastic menagerie (pull out magnifying glass to see the range of creatures!) who seem estatic with joy and blessings on the new couple. While the male is predominantly dressed in a silver-white costume, the female is brightly adorned in reds and yellows displaying her passion, and carrying a parasol which "offers protection from the heat of desire". I can't help but notice he looks fae-like and she more human. Has he won her heart or is he seducing her into fairyland? A bird similar to a stork carries them, as well as a letter over the lollipop trees, and a half rabbit/half mouse-like creature guides him! The rug on his back reminds me of the magic carpet ride and the whole of the card has a sort of fairytale feel to it. Being swept off one's feet by new love. But she is being carried away willingly, not by force, and there is a sense of trust, confidence and enchanted love being portrayed here. I seem to be swept away, myself, into a fairytale, just by looking at this card. Will the bird deliver the announcement of the engagement or future wedding of this couple to the Kingdom of Fae?

Owl Song

The Lovers are the fluid picture of art and grace. They are balanced comfortably on a white swan. The swan carries a letter in its beak. I can't help but think of Gemini--rapid communication. Around the pair is a swirl of turtles, fish, and "sprites." The woman holds a red parasol above her head. The LWB says that the parasol offers "protection from the heat of desire." The Lovers are not guiding the swan; it is being "driven" by a small rabbit. Perhaps he is their chaperone! I like to think of the rabbit as being clad in red velveteen coattails. (He is wearing red.) The woman is dressed in elaborate colors--crimson and gold, with a red feather in her hair. The man is in white or gray. There is a sense of partnership and complementarity in the atmosphere of the card.

The Lovers need to be careful to remain balanced, lest they get caught up in the whirlwind of emotions that surrounds them.

The LBW goes on to say, "Trust and teamwork keep the lovers in balance ." I like to think that they will maintain that balance.

This is a lovely, romantic rendition of the Lovers and there is a wonderful juxtaposition with the Devil--which we will be seeing later!!

Do I hear a waltz?

aimeez4eva

Well I know this thread had been long in-active, but I would like to add my thoughts on this card because they are different to the others.

I see the woman gracefull riding on her creature to deliver news to her lover... the letter tells me that the reason she is there is because she has a message to tell. The man behind her is actually a ghost (to me) because he is so pale. The white swirls of creatures surrounding them also show me that he is a spirit. Perhaps an old lover who refuses to pass on and understand that they are no longer together. He is determined to stop her going to her new lover, I see this from the sinister look on his face. Another pointer to the idea that he is a ghost is that she isn't looking at him, or showing any signs that she is aware of his presence.

A small rabbit sits on the creatures neck, he reminds me of the rabbit in Alice in Wonderland who "Mustn't be late!". The little rabbit tells me that the news that she needs to tell her lover is important and must be seen to immediately.
Perhaps she is on her way to confess her love for him. (I think that she is on her way to see her lover because of the way she is dressed, covered in love hearts and red and gold, without these she could be simply visiting a friend... another reason she is on the way to see her lover is that the card is The Lovers.

So to me, this card means a few things:
- Romantic news
- Burden of your ex of maybe your late husband or wife
- Moving on to a new love
- Rushing into a new relationship
- Trying to hold on to a failed relationship (you being the spirit), you not letting go of your old love.
- Denial that the relationship is over.
- Important news regarding your partner or ex-partner.
- An old relationship coming back to haunt you.
- Invisible lover (the spirit), you not seeing that your true love is right in front of you.

You see that I have a very different perspective of this card and I am glad to have shared it with you.

Thanks for Reading
:)