Paulina Tarot Study Group~Justice

HearthCricket

My thoughts on Justice!!

The Justice card is yet another of my favourite cards of this particular deck. A lot is going on! Justice stands firmly on the ground with one hand delicately holding the scales, reminding us how easy it is to get off balance or misjudge things, but a sword in the other hand represents her authority to see things through to fairness and cut through any fog. The ornate sun behind her signifies this clarity and the dragonfly, resting on her chest, represents "change and the ability to see through illusions". (LWB) With a long white ornate gown and double wings, Justice, herself, is depicted like a dragonfly. More flutter at her feet, as though worshipping her and urging her on to correct any imbalance or unfairness that has taken place. Ladybugs and flowers at her feet rise up in trust, while curling trees with vines flank her, with candles burning on them to bring "situations to light". And the ever trusting snail is crawling up her dress, perhaps with a petition! I especially like the way Justice is illuminated within the darkness of the rest of the card. Nicely done!

Aulruna

Justice is a faerie – for me, this shows that she is beyond and above the mundane, human concept of Justice. This is an arcane, detached force.
There is the firefly again which we already met on the Wheel card – and again it is representing change. I had a hard time connecting the sense of change from the Wheel with Justice – the consequence of Justice may vary and sometimes yield to circumstance, but Justice itself appears as a fix and steady force to me.

The scales she holds have a heart at the center, showing that Justice without compassion or understanding can easily turn into … cruelty.

Mr. Snail is here, too, convincing me more and more he has a connection to time and timing – that for some things you need patience and bearing, as you simply can’t rush them. They will take the time they take. Also, the saying about the mills of God come to mind here.

I like the idea that Justice has wings and thus can show up wherever she is needed lightning fast and on her own devices, no external powers required.
The trusting ladybugs are also a nice touch, showing how true justice can induce a sense of safety and welfare.