Cosmic Tribe Study Group - FAQ

kayne

Hello Aeclectic Communty!

People on the Aeclectic Forum have expressed an interest in being part of a Cosmic Tribe Study Group and since no one has started one here... I thought I would.

I am starting this group to get the ball rolling and I want people to feel free to submit there own topics in realtion to this wonderful and dynamic deck. Please don't feel that you have to follow the particualar order I have started with... Just go for it!

Please include comments about the direction you think this group should go. I suggest we start at the beginning with The Fool and work our way through... any other suggestions?

I look forward to it!
:cool: K

MeeWah

Kayne: I am pleased you are interested in starting a study group for this deck as I am partial to this deck! I think you would do a fine job!
This deck is an excellent example of a "modern" deck. The artist's unique vision is expressed in fascinating & intriguing images of which I would like to see more examination.
I would be interested in participating; however, I am not sure of how regularly that would be due to other commitments. I shall certainly try!

Scorpion

Hi, Kayne!

I shall be joining in shortly. I see Faunabay's kicked off - there's just one problem. I see we're using the RW for comparison. I’m at a bit of a disadvantage here – I was so unimpressed with my RW that I gave it away and am working with a RW based book and the Tiny Universal Waite Tarot - my eyesight might just give up before long! If we’re going to be comparing with RW I may well ask if I can borrow the RW back as I know it’s not being used.

faunabay

LouiQ,
I realized after I had posted the Fool thread that it didn't come out the way I meant. Actually the Cosmic Tribe is based more on the Thoth deck than the Rider Waite. I'm just more familiar with the RW so that's how I talked about it. I was trying to compare it to what I was familiar with. You can talk about the cards anyway you'd like and in turn bring up anything you'd like. I'm definitely not an expert and don't really know what I'm doing either LOL, just wanted to get the ball rolling. ;D

raeanne

LouiQ,
Just a thought - you can see all of the RW pictures at www.learntarot.com. You could set a bookmark (or Favorites) to the page with the images and use it for reference whenever you need. I know it is nice to have a deck in your hands to work with but if you don't like the RW deck, you wouldn't have to buy one.

purplelady

I would like to paticipate from time to time in this study group. What I am doing right now is pulling 1 card a day from cosmic tribe tarot , and it is the only deck I'm working with at this time (I'm trying to simplify my tarot life!) I won't be going through the majors in order..............I'm just studying the cards I pull once a day. However there are some cards I'm particularly interested in that have come up for me lately so maybe I can participate in this somehow?
It is a Wonderful deck! I Love it and am finding that I can relate these cards to my life in the 21 st century much more than say the rider-waite.

Scorpion

Reanne - thanks for the details, but unfortunately the screen on my computer is dying and I can just about see to type! There are hundreds of other things we want and I suspect this isn't at the top of the list (unless we can get a 17"/21" for a tenner!). Until I get a new one, it's probably not a good idea. I'm sure I can get my full-size RWs back to use for this.

Thanks, though - I appreciate the thought.

Scorpion

faunabay (05 Feb, 2002 10:25):
LouiQ,
I'm just more familiar with the RW so that's how I talked about it.

Faunabay - sorry, wasn't trying to disagree with you on the RW bit - I know it's very prevalent and has lots of fans. It's just that it's probably not a good idea to give me a venue to air my dislike of it! I will call my deck back in and go with it. I don't have Thoth and there are other decks higher on my list - please don't give me an excuse to go spend more money until I've got something back on the ones I've got!

faunabay

LouiQ (06 Feb, 2002 08:08):

please don't give me an excuse to go spend more money until I've got something back on the ones I've got!

LouiQ - boy do I know that feeling! I wish I had your backbone. Mine just kind of melts and I have to buy another deck.....and then another one......... LOL

And I'm not really fond of the rider waite either. But I learned on a rider waite clone - Robin Wood. We don't even have to compare the cosmic tribe to anything really - just talk about what we like and notice about the cards. :p

Jewel

Count me in for this study group as well. I am also doing a card of the day which has been really neat. One of the things I have used in this exercise is the exercise in Mary Greer's Tarot for Yourself, where I respond to a series of questions to familiarize myself with the card. It is really a great exercise. The questions are:
1) What do you see?
2) What colors do you see?
3) What humans or animals do you see?
4) What symbols do you see?
5) Describe the card in terms of an emotion. What do you feel when you look at the card?
6) What does the card mean to you?

Once you go through the the first 5 questions you have a deeper perception of what the card really means to you. Perhaps I will approach this study group this way instead of comparing the Cosmic Tribe to another deck. Anyone else who cares to use this please go ahead.

Love & Light,