Previous posts or input Whimsical Deck

finaflight

Hi

I picked up a whimsical deck at a corner book store yesterday. I really like it. I have my own ideas about what the cards mean to me but would like to read about what others think.

I looked on the list but there was no study group. Does anyone have any input about this deck. Or maybe a thread I could follow?

Cosmoline

Briar Rose

Lucky you. I think the Whimiscal is out of print now. Last time I saw it someone sold it for $90.00 here on AT.

I had the deck and traded it. However, it gets rave reviews here on AT. It's a very cute deck!

AJ

http://www.tarotforum.net/search.php?searchid=2063470
Here are 55 threads, is that enough? :)
I gave mine away to a member here. Drove me crazy that the figures were so pale compared to the rest of the background. I felt they were too faded to even give me hints let alone insight..

If your corner shop has more you should go buy them, enough people here like it and it would give you some great trading material.

nisaba

The creator of the deck, Dorothy, used to be a really good friend of mine, so I have a sentimental attachment to my copy. I must admit <lowers voice, glances around> that I was a bit bothered by the pastel colours, too, but she's like that, she likes the pastels and the lighter colours.

If you get over that, the deck works quite well. For meanings, look to Rider-Waite-style thinking. Some cards are a bit challenging even given that context: I originally baulked at Temperance being Jack and Jill tumbling down the hill (oh, and in understanding this deck, a good working knowledge of fairy stories and nursery rhymes helps as well!), until I realised that the qualities of Temperance is *exactly what they needed to draw into the situation to prevent the Fall. I still have issues with Santa Claus as The Emperor, especially an undernourished (read healthy), simpering Santa like that one. And I'm not sure what character the Hanged Person is meant to be, even though she's a lovely image. But go Rider-Waite fore meanings every time.

cardlady22

Whimsical companion book

ISBN: 1-57281-315-6
US Games, 2001

It gives 7 layouts. Each card listing has the name of the character along with the story or nursery rhyme it comes from. The cards are featured as grayscale images.

The bibliography refers you to the appropriate collections of stories and
Tarot Unveiled by Laura Clarsin

The book is specifically referring to you teaching your child to read tarot, but it is not "talking down" in any manner that would make an adult dislike using it.

ETA: the Hanged One
Character: The Fishwife
Story: The Little Gold Fish (aka I Beg A Wish of the Magic Fish)

finaflight

Hi HeavensVault, AJ, nisaba, cardlady22

I found the deck down at a corner book store that sells new and used books and a few Tarot decks. I also found my Druid Craft there last year. I couldn’t find it anywhere and suddenly there was a whole box in this little store.
There was only one deck of the Whimsical. I got it for 12 bucks. I got the Druid Craft for 18 bucks. So they are usually half price there. But it is what ever comes in. Both decks were till in the box and plastic wrapper.

I just happened to pull the Santa Claus today for my daily pull. Not sure how to look at the Emperors even if it is Santa. Funny enough Santa was one of the cards I had for a daily pull today.
If Santa is a person then that would be the gentleman in the pharmacy demanding more drugs than the doctor was willing to give him on his prescription. (The pharmacist were noticeably uncomfortable when I left)
The man was big with a beard and he had a bag, but not very jolly.
I figured he wanted more because he was either selling them or he was an addict. If he gets his way then I guess he will look like the Santa in the Whimsical.(I hope it is ok that I say this. I don’t mean to offend)

I hope I can gain some other insights from the threads AJ hs provided.

I am trying to pick decks that appeal to different parts of my personality. So I will give it some time and see how it works out. There are quite a few that I really like, like the knight of rods. Also the Judgment card I like. I like the mouse whispering in the ur ear instead of all those coffins in the RWS. But I am learning that different decks are sometimes used depending what I am looking for in an answer.
I do think the colors are a bit faded. But will give them a go.

For sure I will brush up on my nursery rhymes. I like reading childrens books every now and then. They make me feel warm inside.
I will try to locate the companion book. I only got a little white booklet inside the deck.

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to reply.

Cosmoline

thorhammer

The Emperor is Santa ;) I can't remember the discussion, but it does go into a bit of detail.

You got a brilliant price for that deck, cosmoline. I paid $US50 for the set recently here on AT . . . you'll be able to pick the book up really cheaply. It's often on eBay for under $US10. Go, you!

\m/ Kat

Briar Rose

I think that there is a nice comfort for you in the Whimiscal. Sounds like you might enjoy a study group on it.

WolfSpirit

I found the Whimsical in a small metaphysical shop here for 18 euros which is the normal price for an in-print deck - most of these shops here are not that aware of what is in print and what is not (to be honest, I would not have a clue either if it was not for AT).
The book is easy to find, most stores still have it in stock. I like the book, believe me or not but for some of the cards I think it has an original way of looking at the cards.
It is not one of my favourites but I like the originality of the cards.

finaflight

I gave Chapters a call and they dont have the book. Thanks for the isbn number cardlady22
They dont have it in any of there stores but I can order it so wont be able to start with this cards until I get the book to take a look see.

I have though been looking at them and still pull some cards for now to see what they mean to me without the book. I remember Umbre stressing this a couple years back.

. k later everyone!