Cosmic Tribe Tarot -- The Knights

Onyx

The Knights are those who serve at the pleasure of the sovereign and aid all those who are in need. They are soldiers, warriors, and devoted servants to their country, community, friends and family. Putting others before themselves they serve all for our own good.

The Knight of Swords – Keeper of the Ancient Faith. He is the Helper of the Wind. He is the sharpened blade of truth with logic and awareness that only comes from use. He is the representation of drawing the blade and taking action to become a warrior. The sensei, the teacher, the mentor, the drill sergeant, he is those who put you to the test to be your best through intellectual consideration and action. He is the SAT test, the Ph.D. oral exam, the Boards needed to pass to become a licensed professional, the internship that means endless days and sleepless nights.

The Knight of Wands – Impervious Clown. He is the Helper of the Flame. He is the burn that scorches ego, the banana’s peal that trips the careless, the truth in mockery that all those who will to make an attempt must endure. He is the representation of the pain of pretension that must be removed either willingly or by force. He is the fool, the jester, the office critic or smart-aleck coworker who sees your weakness and points it out with a joke and a laugh at your expense. It is the moment when you see behind the curtain and the wizard is just a lost old man. He is the one who will watch it all just burn down, the pyromaniac with an agenda.

The Knight of Cups – The Lifeguard. He is the Helper of the Wave. He is the one who fills the cup, enables those who become overwhelmed by the pull of the tide, the rush of the river or the strength of the current. He represents the much needed vacation, that old friend who calls to talk after bad news, the snow days that postpones tests and the cash bonus that comes unexpectedly but is much needed. He is the right song on the radio at just the right time, the love letter that is found under a pillow, the child’s hug that brightens up a cloudy day. It is the moment of breathing deeply, standing in the sun and the peace of knowing that this too shall pass.

The Knight of Disks – Healer. He is the Helper of the Earth. He is the good meal that nourishes the body, sunshine that awakens the fields and gardens, the late wakeup call that allows for good rest, the medicine that treats the fever, and the extra long run that sharpens the muscles, the heart, the lungs. He represents the need for intervention and change to find a better situation, the midterm report card, which leads to tutoring sessions, the worker’s evaluation that leads to different and better opportunities, fertilizer that kills the weeds and feeds the flowers, also the blood test that clarifies the condition. He is the balanced diet, the moment of quiet reflection in a moment of stress, the annual checkup, and the watering can which nourishes the house plants.

DellArtista

Onyx, I've really enjoyed reading what you've wrote on the Knights & Queens...

Onyx said:
The Knights are those who serve at the pleasure of the sovereign and aid all those who are in need. They are soldiers, warriors, and devoted servants to their country, community, friends and family. Putting others before themselves they serve all for our own good.

I agree with what you've written here... especially in regards to service.

I think I'm beginning to make sense of the CT court cards & their roles by thinking of them (the Knights and the Queens at least) as the stewards of the deck. This seems to make sense with the way I view the deck in regards to leadership... and the energy of service in so much of the courts fits the idea of their stewardship as well. (Suppose this applies to the general court card thread as well, but I digress & hopefully I'm not too OT! ;) )

Onyx said:
The Knight of Swords – Keeper of the Ancient Faith. He is the Helper of the Wind. He is the sharpened blade of truth with logic and awareness that only comes from use. He is the representation of drawing the blade and taking action to become a warrior. The sensei, the teacher, the mentor, the drill sergeant, he is those who put you to the test to be your best through intellectual consideration and action. He is the SAT test, the Ph.D. oral exam, the Boards needed to pass to become a licensed professional, the internship that means endless days and sleepless nights.

What you've written here has helped the card click quite a great deal for me. I love the detail of owl wings on this card -- tying in so perfectly with a keeper of knowledge. Seeing the card as actual events to battle & face (i.e. exams, etc) is something that hadn't clicked for me fully before & makes sense now.

The sword itself in this card is interesting to me -- the way the light hits it makes me associate it with a very modern look, especially in juxtaposition of the swords base. (Or maybe it just says something about me that I think it nearly looks like a lightsaber, ha, but I digress....) Especially with the 'keeper of ancient faith' title, I wonder how much this all circles around to balancing the old & new, tradition & modern day, nature & technology, et al... using one side of those paradoxes to help fight the other, perhaps? (A theme that seems to flow through so many of the Swords that perhaps the court card is a representation of finally mastering that art?)

Onyx said:
The Knight of Wands – Impervious Clown. He is the Helper of the Flame. He is the burn that scorches ego, the banana’s peal that trips the careless, the truth in mockery that all those who will to make an attempt must endure. He is the representation of the pain of pretension that must be removed either willingly or by force. He is the fool, the jester, the office critic or smart-aleck coworker who sees your weakness and points it out with a joke and a laugh at your expense. It is the moment when you see behind the curtain and the wizard is just a lost old man. He is the one who will watch it all just burn down, the pyromaniac with an agenda.

I really love that last line! I'm not sure if I can see the Knight of Wands as the actual destroyer or actually physically destructive -- not the one who strikes the match, but one who will enjoy it all burning down all the same... hmm... need to think more on that one.

Onyx said:
The Knight of Cups – The Lifeguard. He is the Helper of the Wave. He is the one who fills the cup, enables those who become overwhelmed by the pull of the tide, the rush of the river or the strength of the current. He represents the much needed vacation, that old friend who calls to talk after bad news, the snow days that postpones tests and the cash bonus that comes unexpectedly but is much needed. He is the right song on the radio at just the right time, the love letter that is found under a pillow, the child’s hug that brightens up a cloudy day. It is the moment of breathing deeply, standing in the sun and the peace of knowing that this too shall pass.

I had previously seen more of the negative in the emotional than the positive in this card, so really appreciate what you've wrote on it... definitely opening up new perspectives & options within the card for me -- before I had seen them more as the one in need of help rather than the one able to give it.

Onyx said:
The Knight of Disks – Healer. He is the Helper of the Earth. He is the good meal that nourishes the body, sunshine that awakens the fields and gardens, the late wakeup call that allows for good rest, the medicine that treats the fever, and the extra long run that sharpens the muscles, the heart, the lungs. He represents the need for intervention and change to find a better situation, the midterm report card, which leads to tutoring sessions, the worker’s evaluation that leads to different and better opportunities, fertilizer that kills the weeds and feeds the flowers, also the blood test that clarifies the condition. He is the balanced diet, the moment of quiet reflection in a moment of stress, the annual checkup, and the watering can which nourishes the house plants.

I like all this & need to think on it more. I've always found this Court as the purest "worker"/"steward"/"soldier"/etc. of the lot, someone who is quietly overseeing everything, working away at everything, unafraid to get down & dirty for the sake of the greater good...

The moment of quiet reflection you mention is usually what hits me the most with this card -- the incredible amount of silence that seems to be reflected. I think the difference of energy between the Knight of Disks & the Queen of Disks is the most profound between any of the court pairings in the deck.

Thanks again for the food for thought! :)