Inner Child Tarot- 0 The Fool- Little Red Hat

Golden Angel

Hi everyone,

This is the first post for the Study Group of the Inner Child Tarot. This week we are starting with the Major Arcana card of "0- Little Red Hat" aka The Fool. I recommend for everyone to chirp in and partake of your knowledge and feelings about this card. People can continue posting insights even when we have started on another card for the following week.

For each card we state:

1) The name of the card (Traditional and Inner Child entitled)
2) The description of the card
3) Elements of the card that is important or stands out
4) Our intuitive impression/meaning of the card based upon 2 and 3
5) Summary of the Fairy Tale it is associated with
6) What the card actually means either from the creator's viewpoint or by other RW interpretations.
7) How the card can be interpreted during a real reading

I like to involve religion in my interpretations and I hope no one gets offended by this. I find that the cards follow some Gnostic elements of the cosmos, also Greek mythology, last but not least astrology. Anyone else can add their thoughts in on #4 when writing up their impressions of the card being studied.

A new card will get put up next Sunday and this will be the Ace of Wands.

Enjoy
------------------------------------------
The Fool- Little Red Cap

Description:
With the fool there is a girl with gorgeous long black hair wearing a Red Hat (Little Red Riding Hood) starting off on her journey with a basket of apples and a newly acquainted friend, the butterfly, on her finger. There is a beautiful color scheme of trees, grass, sky, etc.. Wrapped around one of the dark trees is wolf looking at her from afar. It looks like she’s walking pass the path that leads to her Grandmother’s home. (Aquarius, Uranus)

Butterfly- Freedom and potential

Red Hat- Her feather in her hat serves as her own compass, but also red which screams potential target for predators

Eyes Slightly Closed- being blinded or not being aware of anything around her, even dangers like the wolf wrapped around the tree, or being so engrossed in her butterfly (being engrossed in the thought of freedom, potential, excitement and adventure) that she is not conscientious of other things.

Taking the Unbeaten Path- Instead of taking the path set out to grandma’s house, she takes the path less traveled out of innocence or on purpose because she enjoys her freedom

Long Black Hair- Vitality and youth

Personal Reading of The Card:
Little Red Riding hood is completely engrossed in her freedom or what appears to be the promise of freedom (butterfly). Like Aquarius/Uranus energy she dresses differently than most and is known in the village for her unique red riding smock, meaning likes to march to the beat of her own drum. I think that if one gets this card in a reading it means: starting something new, innocence, not being aware of pitfalls, a person who’s completely different and out there, one who pursues an idea with vitality and energy.

Background of Little Red Riding Hood:
At the end of the story, the wolf meets little Red Riding Hood at her Grandmother’s house where she is suppose to deliver the apples and eats both the mother and grandmother. A hunter comes and saves them by cutting open the wolf. The end of the story represents the loss of innocence or even rebirth.

Reversed Interpretation:
The Lerners suggest never to interpret the cards in reverse fashion, but I find their cards easy to interpret in reverse. And in reverse I would have to say loss of innocence or lack of vitality in taking up a project or not being able to view things from an out-of-the-box perspective any longer, being in a rut.

This Card in A Reading:
I’ve not come across this card in any readings so I can’t tell you how this was interpreted within a reading.

Other Notes:
I think this card, based on some Gnostic principles and LDS thought of the cosmos, represents not only an individual but also the greater Universal Mind. Many Christians believe that the beginning starts with the word of God as he is the Alpha and the Omega (beginning and the end). So in Christian terms, this card can represent God. However, LDS and some early Christian faiths believe that God was begotten by a God, who was begotten by a God, etc. So this card can represent the time before the Christian God, the Unknown God (the God who begotten the Christian God) or the Universal Mind.

[The Gnositcs introduced the idea that Jehovah, whom they called the Demiurge (Gk. demiourgos, builder or public worker) is not the highest God, the Unknown God over all, but a much lower one. He is merely one of the lower emanations, the builder of the physical planet earth, and though powerful in his own sphere of material creation, overall he occupies a very low plane on the ladder of evolution]

Here’s a nice web link that explains some of the general Gnostic thoughts. The Essenes were a smaller subgroup of the Gnostic faith of which many theologians believe Jesus belonged to and whose teachings he taught to the rest of the world.

http://www.essene.com/Gospels/GnosticAndSophia.html

Not a lot is known about the Essenes or the Gnostic faith. But I thought it would be an eye-opener for many to step into this thought of early Christian cosmology.

You can find the images of Little Red Hat:
http://www.ishalerner.com/shop/images/ic_little_redcap.jpg

DragonFae

Little Red Hat: I believe that this card represents each of us on our journey through life. Life is full of pitfalls, dangers, sidetracks, detours, dead ends and delays....along with many goodies (just as the basket and the flowers represent)

As we travel on this journey through life we will be tempted many times to ignore good advice or even our own intuition...(represented by the bad wolf). Sometimes we will be lead astray and other times we will stand firm on the course we have chosen....and free will is represented by this...for although Little Red is a child...she still has free will....yes mother's advice was good but it is only through "living the experience" that she truly appreciates that fact....thus we learn through living and doing NOT just through reading, advice, talking with others etc...LIFE is for living not observing....

In a reading I think this card will change in meaning based on surrounding cards....will they indicate that the seeker is on the correct path or perhaps caution that they pause and reflect? It is a card of personal choice and as such asks the seeker to become more aware of their choices and their real desires and wishes....following their heart so to speak....for even if others mean well....each person travels life's path alone....and as such must decide the direction they take.

DragonFae

I wanted to add another thought that I had while I was pondering the Inner Child cards...

Little Red is the 0 card....and 0 is, of course, a CIRCLE....it reminds me that (in my belief system) we start out as a soul...part of the greatness of heaven and God....we are then born and travel our path through life. I think of it as a quest to return to that which we have left...(heaven and the oneness of God)....we take some detours into the unknown, we wander around for a bit, we may even be "reborn" because of some of our experiences...but in the end....at death....the circle is complete and we return to that which we left...God.

One of the things that intrigues me about archetypes, religions, history, tarot and other belief systems is that many many many of them contain the same basic beliefs just in a slightly different form, with a slightly different slant. So I have come to believe that all have something to offer us, some insight, some way of "knowing" or "seeing" that we have not perhaps discovered yet. Each can and should be a valuable part of the journey through life. That is not to say that we will embrace them all and believe all aspects...but just that they are there to enlighten us in some manner.

Golden Angel

Inner Child TArot- 0 The Fool- Reversed

Dragon Fae,

That was a wonderful summation. I like the way you explained the 0 cards to anyone who is truly new to Tarot. It also reminded me of looking at other cards around the Fool.

I was teaching a friend how to read a deck of cards I passed on to her (The Golden Tarot, I've graduated (or maybe even demoted depending on how one looks at it because the TTarot is so wonderfully easy to read) myself to the Touchstone Tarot). We did a simple 3 card spread and when she pulled the first card it was the Fool upside down and I knew intuitively her question was about work.

I interpreted this card immediately as being STAGNANT. Not being able to do what one wishes to do (like being a kid stuck in time out)... then later on, using the Inner Child Tarot to continue my reading for her, the World card (21) came up... and this reminds me of your take on the 0 card. We may come into a situation as a new soul (0) but then we return back to our Creator (21). I guess the reversal for The Fool is that we are unable to continue on our soul's progression... progress is stopped.

Thanks for your input!