Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

etherial dreams 
Citizen

original rider waite vs universal waite

which of the two do you prefer? I am in two minds and own both decks and I cant decide which to use...any suggestions, help, opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

xxx
etherial dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
Kissa 
Citizen

If i were you, i'd get the Universal Waite (Mary Hanson-Roberts's recoloring you are talking about, right?) and would wait for US Games "new" RWS to come out, for an olding deck. The pictures of the Original are so dark, you miss some details sometimes. Check the thread on the new RWS by US Games, you will get some scans there.

My two cents, of course...

ETA: sorry i juste re-read your post: you already OWN both decks. Universal is more friendly i think :-)
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
Onyx 
Citizen

I fell in love with Mary Hanson-Roberts with her "Hanson-Roberts Tarot." She has colored a couple of other decks and I love the color pencil style that she uses. I have both decks but I like the Universal better than the Original because of the softer coloring.

But I am nearly convinced to give the Radiant Waite a shot too. I think that its dynamic coloring adds something to the deck. http://www.albideuter.de/html/radiant.html

Onyx.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
Le Fanu 
Citizen

OK, just so you get a balanced view. I loved the Universal as soon as I opened it. I remember laying it out on the table and feeling that at last, the colouring had brought the RWS to life. Two weeks later I was bored stiff by it. Dull, dull, dull. Never had a deck which fell from favour so quickly. Now I have it in my drawer at work for impromptu, emergency readings. It doesn´t matter if it gets bent or coffee spilt on it.

The Original, by contrast, I didnt like at all when I opened it up. I just couldn´t relate to the colouring. It slumbered on the shelf for a while and then one day I took it out, slowly got used to the colouring, and now I adore it. I use it all the time. There does seem to be a difference between newer (Printed in Italy) and older (printed in Belgium) editions. Mine is the latter. It really seems to me to have an "atmosphere" and I can overlook now the ocassional blots, pixelated images and darker colours. Mine has low lamination and a nice weight in the hand. Nice backs too.

Radiant RWS reminds me of fake tan. Too orangy...
Le Fanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
Aerin 
Seeker, Patterner, Questioner, Dreamer

Another vote for the Original.

It's like the difference between walking on the fells in the Lake District (moody, atmospheric) and wandering around a Cotswold village (pretty, chocolate box-y).

Aerin

Protector of Malteser Bunnies
Aerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
etherial dreams 
Citizen

Yes I feel the same about the RRW fake tan! I think out of the rider waites my favourite is the original. It is more mysterious and inspiring as a reader...
etherial dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
WolfyJames 
Child of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx
But I am nearly convinced to give the Radiant Waite a shot too. I think that its dynamic coloring adds something to the deck. http://www.albideuter.de/html/radiant.html
I suggest the Radiant, it has great vibrant colors, kind of reminds me of the Tarot de Marseille Fournier in the coloring. Personaly, I find the Universal too pastel and too fluffy bunny, she changed the expressions and put smiles on everyone, weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa
If i were you, i'd get the Universal Waite (Mary Hanson-Roberts's recoloring you are talking about, right?) and would wait for US Games "new" RWS to come out, for an olding deck. The pictures of the Original are so dark, you miss some details sometimes. Check the thread on the new RWS by US Games, you will get some scans there.

My two cents, of course...
I agree, it will be quite an edition surpassing the Original in every way.

El Desdichado (by Nerval)
Je suis le ténébreux, - le veuf, - l'inconsolé,
Le Prince d'Aquitaine à la tour abolie:
Ma seule étoile est morte, - et mon luth constellé
Porte le soleil noir de la Mélancolie.
WolfyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
The 78th Fool 
Citizen

I prefer the Original but my advice regarding the Universal would always be to buy the pocket version (printed in China) rather than the standard edition now printed in Italy. The standard version is a dreadful reproduction of Mary Hanson Robert's wonderful re-colouring of the artwork. It's washed out in the extreme and very inaccurate. The pocket edition by contrast reproduces the deep colours of her pencil work much more accurately. I was shocked when I bought this edition - it's so much finer and prior to owning it, I hadn't realised just how vivid the Universal Waite really was.

Chris. xx

Old 16-04-2009 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
Manda 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 78th Fool
I prefer the Original but my advice regarding the Universal would always be to buy the pocket version (printed in China) rather than the standard edition now printed in Italy. The standard version is a dreadful reproduction of Mary Hanson Robert's wonderful re-colouring of the artwork. It's washed out in the extreme and very inaccurate. The pocket edition by contrast reproduces the deep colours of her pencil work much more accurately. I was shocked when I bought this edition - it's so much finer and prior to owning it, I hadn't realised just how vivid the Universal Waite really was.

Chris. xx

I would echo that entirely, and also add that it is good to have a pocket deck to stash. Again, I say it over and over, but the Radiant is my RWS recoloring of choice.

~Marianne Williamson
Manda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
Seafra 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fanu
Radiant RWS reminds me of fake tan.
YES !!! Love this comparison. And I am a die hard RWS fan.

Old 16-04-2009 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #10
Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade to subscriber today