YOD formation?

Maggiemay

It's come to my attention that I have 2 yod formations in my chart. Now, I've done some reading on it and I can't seem to figure out if its a 'positive' aspect or a 'negative' aspect.

Could someone explain to me the effects of the Yod?

Thanks,

Maggie :)

Minderwiz

Well it's not an 'aspect' at all, it's an aspect pattern. That is, it is a figure made up of the lines drawn to join planets in aspect.

Aspect patterns are a modern conception, you won't find any mention of them before the second half of the last century but many modern Astrologers except the Yod as important, though it seems few make a great deal of use of it.

The yod is two planets in opposition connected to two other planets, the first of the two in opposition is connected to the other two by semi-sextiles, the second planet is connected to the other two by quincunxes.

Now to be honest, I just keep to the classical or major aspects. If there are quincunxes, I MIGHT pay attention if I think they would add something. I don't use semi-sextiles or semi-squares under ANY circumstances. They are just too weak to convey meaning that hasn't been conveyed by other chart factor.

Arguably the two 'additional' planets provide alternative ways of discharging or expressing the tension of the opposition.

I don't even pay much attention INITIALLY to Grand Trines and Grand Crosses. ONLY if I think they add something special, that the aspects alone have not conveyed and is not conveyed elsewhere do I include them. But again, to be honest, I have found very few if any circumstances in which I've needed them. That is not to say that other Astrologers might find them useful, it depends on your approach.

However, Astrology, like many things' goes in fashions, and there is a fashion for making a lot out of aspect patterns. Therefore if you're an Astrological Counsellor, Yod's may be an important part of your amoury for helping people deal with their issues.

Maggiemay

Ohh... I see.

Well, so much for my yod aspect *patterns*! LOL

Thank you Minderwiz. :)

Maggie (who's rushing back to what she is REALLY supposed to be doing!) LOL

Minderwiz

Well I'm a fuddy duddy when it comes to this new fangled stuff LOL

Seriously, though do a little bit of exploration of the yods to see if they add something to your understanding. Don't write it off because I don't use it.

If you think about it the secondary pair of planets (i.e. those not forming the opposition) are sextile to each other and one of the opposition pair lies at their mid point. So AFTER YOU HAVE DONE YOUR NECESSARY COURSEWORK you can do some research on the use of midpoints.

Maggiemay

Minderwiz said:
Seriously, though do a little bit of exploration of the yods to see if they add something to your understanding. Don't write it off because I don't use it.
Will do!

Minderwiz said:
So AFTER YOU HAVE DONE YOUR NECESSARY COURSEWORK you can do some research on the use of midpoints.

LOL!

God, you're funny!

Maggiemay

Minderwiz said:
So AFTER YOU HAVE DONE YOUR NECESSARY COURSEWORK you can do some research on the use of midpoints.

I cheated. I looked at the midpoints pretty much right away after you mentioned it. It's very interesting.

How significant are midpoints when studying a chart? A synastry chart?

Thanks,

grella lou

I have a natal boomerang yod (a yod with an opposition to the apex planet).. hitting my sun/venus/ N. Node conjunction. Very confusing and stressful because this is my sun, afterall.

But, boomerang yods are better to work with than regular yods. The nickname "finger of god" connotes some stress. ;)

Maggiemay

grella lou said:
But, boomerang yods are better to work with than regular yods. The nickname "finger of god" connotes some stress. ;)

Good to hear!

Cuz' I had read that just the opposite was true.(& one of my boomerang yod has the Moon as its apex planet!)

grella lou

Well, the reason why the opposition in a boomerang yod is more helpful than a regular yod is that some of that stressful energy is diverted to the opposition instead of it all overwhelming the apex planet. ;)

a regular yod, on the other hand, feels more closed-in as an aspect system.

Maggiemay

grella lou said:
Well, the reason why the opposition in a boomerang yod is more helpful than a regular yod is that some of that stressful energy is diverted to the opposition instead of it all overwhelming the apex planet. ;)

I see...

What about the ''everything makes sense after 40 years old'' bit?
I'm only 33 so I wouldn't know whether it's true or not! LOL