The Process - Chapter 4 ~ In the Camp of the Enemy

Baroli

At first, you see this and you are all ready for something controversial to be said and instead you get an example of something that at some point in our lives we have experienced; The Cold Reader. Now, there are all sorts of definitions of what this is, from taking a script of a play and doing a cold, first time read through of the it, to someone reading a script of generalizations and passing it off as an intuitive reading. I am speaking of the second, the cold reader, aka con-artist, flim flam person, etc. The person who, after you cross their palm with silver, will look you straight in the eyes and tell you about yourself by spouting a carefully crafted script of generalizations, designed to make you say "Oh my God, that's me!! YOu're so right!!!! How did you know???" How indeed.

But my question to Dan as he talks about this is why do I need to know about it? Why is it so important that I know what a Cold reader is? Why is it so important that we know? Afterall, we don't do that,....do we? Do we??? Search yourselves,...... DO...WE??? I would like to say that the majority if not all of us do not. So,......why do we need to know?

It is my opinion, that we as readers, owe it to our clients and the public three things. We owe them compassion, we owe honesty, but most of all,...we owe them the truth. Not some contrived script, but the truth. And everyone's is different. We're individuals. Just the way I read is not the same as you or someone else, our truth is just as different. That is so important IMO when going to read for someone, whether face-to-face or email, or whatever. When you turn over those cards to read, we need to be as truthful as we can be and for some,.......that's hard.

Dan also talks briefly about reading using meanings from a book and reading intuitively. Both are accepted styles of reading. Nothing wrong with them. I have to say that my own journey of Tarot is somewhat similar to the author, in that I picked up 2 decks when I was 16, looked at the LWB and threw it out because it wasn't helpful, in fact, I couldn't see the print it was so small, lol. I had no idea what to do, so I read. Whatever I saw, whatever certain pictures reminded me of, feelings, colors, smells, whatever came to my mind, I wrote them down. Later on, when I did buy a book "Tarot for Yourself," I found I was on the right track. But I did notice that when the same cards were picked but a different question asked, they meant something different again. I think this is important and for me something I gleaned from this chapter.

The cards have a miriad of meanings and we need to understand and realize this. No one card can mean the same thing everytime you pull it. The questions are different, the position is different, the surrounding cards are different, everything is different, and the truth becomes different, but still the truth nonetheless. It is what makes us readers, not con-artists or cold readers, not flim-flam men or women, but readers.

lilith

So true Baroli, so true!

mac22

Chap. 4 so many good things in here. Cold readers how to spot & avoid them. How to examine my own reading style.... More journal notes....;)

Mac22