Anna K.: The Hermit (IX)

Dr.Girlfriend

It's the "blue hour" (twilight, moving towards darkness). The Hermit is an old man with long white hair and beard. He's another aspect of The Magician, I'm thinking. He looks like The Magician who is no longer out in the public, no longer displaying his gifts and tricks for others to see. Now his gifts are for himself. He's a holy man who lives alone high up in the mountains, far away from civilization. He is the guru/teacher who is available as a Teacher and Guide, an embodiment of Wisdom, for those few who seek and are able to find him.
Wait a minute: I just noticed that his candle is burned down, is soon to go out. So it must be the beginning of dawn, not dusk. It's the new day beginning to dawn. In that sense, the card speaks of hope, a new day, new beginning, new start. Not the new start of the fool. Maybe he represents the beginning of wisdom. The Fool has been on his journey for awhile, has accrued many experiences, and wisdom is beginning to dawn in him. The Magician is now available in a new incarnation, that of holy man.

Wisdom is to spirit what knowledge is to mind.
If someone draws this card in a reading, (depending on position and question), I would be thinking that this is a time or situation in the person's life that calls for a higher level of thinking (spiritual) than just ordinary reasoning and problem-solving. "Swords" thinking (with the brain alone) is not enough: one must think with the heart and spirit as well.

I just noticed another thing: the ledge he is sitting on is almost identical to the ledge the Fool is about to bounce off of. It looks like the same place. Coincidence? I don't know ...

Eyebright

The Hermit

I love this Hermit card, its one of my favourites out of any deck. There he sits staring out across the open spaces deep in thought. He is alone suggesting this stage of his spiritual journey he has to complete himself, he needs the quiet where he will not be disturbed to look within to find the answers.

Another thing that struck me is that he is looking to the left. Traditionally this is associated with the past. To me this signifies looking back to the past, using hindsight to answer to our question. If we look back over our life (maybe past lives as well?) we will find we have the answers there.

The candle with the Hermit is indeed almost burned down. It would seem to me that the Hermit has been on his spiritual journey for a while now, perhaps it is finally coming to an end? He sits on a ledge which is very similar to where we saw the fool, perhaps he waiting for the Fool to ensure that he doesn't trip in the dark or repeat past mistakes.

He lights the way for others to follow in his footsteps, and to illuminate their path for them. His light is a beacon of hope to others who are lost in the dark, stumbling around trying to find their way. He looks kindly and wise, willing to help and offer assistance. :)