Anna K.: The Wheel of Fortune (X)

Dr.Girlfriend

Oh, I love the Wheel I love the Wheel I love the Wheel.
Yes, I'm partial to the Wheel. MAYBE (probably) because the Grateful Dead have a WONDERFUL song called The Wheel. And guess what it's about?
Here are some of the lyrics and see what you think:

"The wheel is turning and you can't slow down
You can't let go and you can't hold on
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will ...

Small wheel turn by the fire and rod
Big wheel turn by the grace of God
Every time that wheel turn 'round
bound to cover just a little more ground ..."

I think this is the absolute essence of The Wheel of Fortune. It's always turning, round and round, we can't stop it, we can't slow it down, it's bigger than we are, it's the inevitable up's and down's of life, "Turn, turn, turn" by the Byrds ("To every thing, turn, turn, turn,/There is a season, turn, turn, turn/And a time for every purpose under Heaven").
Someone's living high, someone's falling into the abyss, someone's gaining, someone's losing (another great Grateful Dead lyric that applies: "One man gathers what another man spills.")

It's destiny meets free will = Karma.
We may not have a choice about the up's and down's that come into our lives, but we always have a choice as to how we DEAL with those up's and down's.

i just noticed the ghostlike (supernatural, or abstract principle) almost invisible Crone with her left hand on the handle and her right hand on the Wheel. Anna K. is personifying the abstract Mover (God, the Universe, Spirit, however you call it) as female (she looks quite a bit like Mother Teresa, imo). Interesting!

Mariana

Dr.Girlfriend said:
Anna K. is personifying the abstract Mover (God, the Universe, Spirit, however you call it) as female (she looks quite a bit like Mother Teresa, imo).
Fortuna perhaps? Or one of the three Moirae (Greek goddesses of fate) or the three Norns (Scandinavian goddesses of fate)?