Anna K.: Death (XIII)

Dr.Girlfriend

Death looks like an attractive even seductive young Goth man but he's not a man, he is the Angel of Death. His luxurious black wings almost blend into the night sky. He has Death's traditional scythe; he holds the handle while the blade rests on the ground. Or rather, the road. He is standing on a gray road that goes back to infinity, with a dark barren landscape all around him. He is beckoning to the viewer: Come. His skin is unnaturally white, like a vampire, or like ... Death.
This portrayal of Death as enticing, alluring, even positive: " Come here, join me, everything's alright" fits quite well with the understanding of the Death card that I have from the RW deck. The RW deck "tells" us that Death means endings, and means allowing things to end that are meant to end, not being afraid of that or resisting that, yet the RW card is pretty scary-looking!! Anna's Death card looks much more like that message: don't be afraid, death is like birth, endings are natural, and some things must end for other things to begin.
Although Death still looks very ... final. There's no real sign of "rebirth" like there is in the RW card (the sun rising on a new day, life going on even in the presence of death).
I don't know if I'm saying anything cohesive or not. The main impression I'm left with is that this portrayal of the Angel of Death is very attractive and inviting. And, like the Strength card, the power he exerts is that of softness rather than harshness or coercion. (of course, what would he look like if we rejected his invitation? How would he appear, then?)

Mariana

Interestingly, the same Angel of Death in more or less the same position can be seen on the Judgement card, where he's beckoning people again. Maybe there they've reached the end of the passage, whereas here, in the Death card, they still need to start their journey? It seems to imply that the same (benevolent) Angel guides them all the way through their journey to the other side.