Anna K.: The Tower (XVI)

Dr.Girlfriend

It's a dark, stormy night. There's a stone tower which has been struck by lightening and cracked down the middle. There are tidal waves hitting the base of it. The tower is on fire. People are falling or being thrown over the top of it and are plunging to their deaths in the water.
This may be a lighthouse in the water, but it doesn't exactly look like that. It looks like there are land and trees behind the tower. Which makes me think maybe the tower is on land, and these waves are from a tsunami, and the water is inundating the land. The tower looks like a castle turret (I think that' the right word) and a lookout tower. A place of defense.

The simultaneous lightning, fire and flood make me think these are acts of God, but maybe they just represent natural disasters: unforeseen events that can happen to anyone.
If it's the latter, the message of this card might have to do with something big that changes the course of things (either in the past present or future, depending on position of card).
If it's an act of God, then THIS tower had to be destroyed. Why? It makes me think of the Tower of Babel. Maybe this card represents that story? Destruction that comes about because people fail to understand each other and communicate in ways that can be understood.
Failure of communication leads to some kind of destructive energy (usually in a relationship).
This card comes right after the Devil card. If the Devil represents indulging in self-destructive behaviors, then the Tower represents the most extreme possible result of that: having your life explode apart, having something come crashing down. Death, destruction, illness, loss: an extreme event that grew as the result of destructiveness and kept getting worse until SOMETHING happened to put an end to it. Because it does end, and the following card is The Star.

I did a reading with a woman I didn't know. I didn't know her question, I wanted to do the reading without knowing. She drew The Tower in the Recent Past position. I said "it looks like something earth-shattering happened in your life in the recent past. Something so big that you start to think of life as before that event and after that event". The woman immediately started crying and told me that two years ago, she had been diagnosed with cancer AND she and her husband lost their business AT THE SAME TIME, and it was overwhelming and all-consuming and that's what they'd been going thru for the past 2 yrs. The reading went on to make clear how depleted she was, how exhausted her whole being was, and the need for her to take care of herself. It was all related to those events 2 yrs ago. Her whole life had changed, then, and she was still reelilng from it.

So, what happened to her was a perfect example of a Tower-worthy occurrence. Psychologically, the equivalent might be the break-up of a deep relationship, or possibly someone having a 'breakdown', either the Asker or someone in their life. Some kind of explosion, either physical, mental/emotional, or both.