Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Decks Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Forum Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Talking Tarot

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

yagger 
Resident

Does tarot attract any (bad) spirits?

Lately i got interested in tarot cards because i met a bunch of new friends that practice tarot. So I bought a rider waite deck for myself and started playing with it too.

But now one of my friends that apparently retired from using tarot, tells me I'd better not touch tarot again. Cause tarot can be very dangerous! My friend explained to me the following:

"Doing tarot can screw up other people's destiny or that of yourself. Since bad spirits can be around you during the devination and make you draw ominous cards. Especially when you don't channel your energy properly, bad spirits will be attracted to you. After drawing the ominous cards, the spirits will actually want to make the cards come true as well! Even if you asked things for someone that is not present during the devination, bad spirits can be sent to that person to screw up his destiny that wasn't supposed to be like that.."

That sounds pretty severe. How much of it do you think is true?
yagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #1
northsea 
Citizen

It's maybe a tad superstitious. I think they're cards.
northsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #2
HearthCricket 
Content and Chirping

None. Does she seriously think a piece of cardboard is going to conjure up an evil spirit? She sounds very superstitious and silly to me. We make our own destiny. Tarot cards give us the opportunity to explore paths we may be overlooking and to see situations in a more objective manner. There are also no ominious cards in a tarot deck. All cards have both a positive and negative quality to them and which one it is depends entirely on the question, the reading itself, the position it is in and the cards surrounding it. If a person depends entirely on tarot, or astrology or numerology or the advice of friends, in making all their decisions, then they need to stop and look within and search out why they are so dependent on such things to rule their life. Karma will throw things in our pathway no matter what we do...cards or no cards.
HearthCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #3
214red 
Citizen

i think tarot is too external for that, people have free will and it doesnt interfere with that.
i dont think the cards open you up to spirits, i think its other spiritual work

Old 09-06-2009 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #4
Le Fanu 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagger
"Doing tarot can screw up other people's destiny or that of yourself. Since bad spirits can be around you during the devination and make you draw ominous cards. Especially when you don't channel your energy properly, bad spirits will be attracted to you. After drawing the ominous cards, the spirits will actually want to make the cards come true as well! Even if you asked things for someone that is not present during the devination, bad spirits can be sent to that person to screw up his destiny that wasn't supposed to be like that.."
That sounds like an explanation from someone who has zero knowledge of tarot.

These are age-old symbols and archetypes. Does that mean that 15th century paintings and engravings with personifications of Strength and Old Father Time attract evil spirits?

Too silly to even contemplate.
Le Fanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #5
Basic Elements 
Resident

Your fears are unfounded on so many levels I'm not even sure where to begin. Tarot does not attract spirits, but people may. Tarot cards are just ink and paper until they come into contact with an appropriately understanding consciousness to give life to the symbols.

To imply that the presence of a spirit may interfere with the drawing of the cards, and subsequently alter the future of the individual is to give the spirit godlike abilities..which obviously they do not have.

"The only thing you have to fear is fear it's self."

Last edited by Basic Elements; 09-06-2009 at 02:26.
Basic Elements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #6
Grizabella 
Tarot Reader/Fortune Teller

Tarot won't invite any spirits unless you invite them. A Ouija board---now that's a different story. Just use the cards, don't invite any spirits, and you'll be fine.

Intuition is not an inferior form of mind--it is, in fact, superior to ordinary intellect, more like a "super-mind" into which you plug during extra-ordinary states of consciousness. ~Vicki Noble (creator of Motherpeace deck)
Grizabella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #7
Sulis 
believer in magic

Your friend is spouting nonsense and twoddle in my opinion.
These are cards with pictures on them; think of them as a book without the words... The pictures make stories which help people to understand their lives and their problems.
I think by using cards you are no more likely to conjure spirits than you would be if you were reading a book.

'the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it' - Roald Dahl

'There is a voice that doesn't use words.... Listen!' - Rumi
Sulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #8
OrbWeaver 
Citizen

Your friend sounds like some kind of Fundamentalist Christian got to her, and she's spouting off what THEY said.

I've never had a problem with tarot and "evil spirits!" *waggles fingers*

Old 09-06-2009 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #9
Umbrae 
Citizen

Cool

I dunno...

I was once reading in a bar. Somehow word got out that the 'cost' was a shot of Bushmills. I remember looking up and seeing a line of people (five or six) all holding shots of Bushmills...

So yeah - Tarot CAN attract Spirits. Good or bad depends on yer point of view I suppose...
Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #10