AnnaK Study: Three Of Swords

Satori

The traditional3 of Swords shows a heart with three swords stuck through it. Here we see a woman facing away from a man. Her dress is bloodstained, right above her heart, and behind her, a discarded rose lay in the snow. Also, a man is watching her walk away... and he looks confused.

I love this depiction of the 3 of Swords. It really does capture heartache. But there is a complicating factor here, it isn't straightforward. All we know is that the woman, bearing the swords has her back to this man, to the house, to the path. She can still choose to turn and face him, but we don't get that sense from the picture.

I also like this card because of the moisture that is in the air. You can feel the moisture, the tears, the sorrow, the cloudy sky, the entire landscape puts you in an emotional state.

whiterose

yes, i like this card too. It shows both sides of the "break-up". Hurt feelings all around.
Maybe she did the "dumping" starting with that phrase, "this is going to hurt me more than it'll hurt you.." And it literally did. Look at her! She's bleeding!
but when you described his face as confused, satori, you nailed it! I couldn't quite place what that was besides just sad.
It's like she ended it very quickly and suddenly and he was just about to give her that rose.....Heart breaking, isn't it?

Sulis

I love this card and I hadn't noticed the bloodstain above the woman's heart until you pointed it out Satori.

I use elements and numerology in my readings and that's one of the reasons that I dislike the heart pierced with 3 swords depiction - it's just too narrow. The 3 of Swords to me doesn't always mean heartache or sorrow. It's a Swords card which means it's talking about communication, thoughts or strife and this Anna K card seems to take in those broader meanings.
To me the 3 of Swords just means a break of the stalemate and balance shown in the 2 of Swords. It shows that something has been said or needs to be said or a decision has been made.
This card shows that really well... The woman has said what needed to be said, even though it hurt...

Lovely card.