Lo Scarabeo RWS. Anniversary edition.

The 78th Fool

How fantastic is this!? Finally, a standard edition of the RWS that accurately reproduces the lovely colours of the Pam A deck and also incorporates Pixie's roses and lilies back design. Considering the constant deterioration of quality in the US Games yellow box editions of late, this new LS edition is doubly welcome.

Image reproduction on the new LS version is fantastic - as good as the earlier US Games editions. Furthermore, the cardstock is identical to the kind used by US. Games immediately prior to their switching to their italian printers.

I don't know whether this is actually available yet as my copy is a review copy, kindly sent by Ric but once it hits the shops, I'd strongly advise getting hold of it - It's by far the best repro of the deck available at this stage.

I know purists may be concerned that like the newer US Games editions, Pixie's calligraphy has been reproduced by standard typefaces. Furthermore, the deck also incorporates standard LS multi-lingual card titles. I have to say however, that this has been done with much better taste and sensitivity to the images than with the US Games editions. The borders have been standardised and the effect is clean, unobtrusive and really rather appealing. I don't think Pixie would be complaining if she could see this edition!

What matters to me the most is fidelity to the original images and when you lay these cards out next to the competing editions, you begin to realise what a lovely new edition this is. I love the new centennial edition from US Games as it's a beautiful facsimile repro of the first edition deck. On a practical level however, that's only available as part of a more expensive boxed set whereas this edition can be bought as a stand alone deck. I'm also thrilled that this has been based on the Pam A from what I can make out. Ultimately, the 1910 Pam A was the best executed of the 'original' decks, whatever the arguments over which edition came first.

I'm posting some images of my copy below and I'll also post some comparative images on the next post.

Chris. xx

PS. The box design is really cool too!

Attachments

• box_back.jpg
    box_back.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,727
  • box_front.jpg
    box_front.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,685
  • major_arcana.jpg
    major_arcana.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,589

The 78th Fool

Here's a couple of comparison shots. Firstly, I've laid out a few cards next to their equivalents from the current US. Games edition. No contest there!!

The second pic is a comparison with the 'Original' Rider Waite edition. Despite retaining Pixie's calligraphy, there's still no contest here for me. The original is based on the Pam C and it just doesn't have the refinement of the Pam A. Also, the 'Original' now suffers from inferior print quality and cardstock plus the super high gloss lamination a lot of people complain about.

The third and final pic shows a comparison with the US Games centennial edition. I really love this one and I wouldn't be without it alongside my new LS copy. It's very different from the LS edition however and for me, both are an essential acquisition and will be equally cherished. I'm ever so slightly biased towards the LS however. It's the Roses and Lilies back that does it, plus the cleaner Pam A images. If it comes to a desert island choice however, I'm taking both with me!

Chris. xx

Attachments

• USgames_comp.jpg
    USgames_comp.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,353
  • OriginalRWS_comp.jpg
    OriginalRWS_comp.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,421
  • PCS_comp.jpg
    PCS_comp.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,363

emmsma

Thanks so much for your post, and the images.

I guess there's another one for the wishlist.

Myrrha

Thanks for posting those comparisons.

The top borders in the Lo Scarabeo version prevent the images from interacting with each other. It is like the images are in a cage, each one separate. They seem flatter.

Even with the sticky card stock and garish colors I would prefer the standard US games edition to the LS.

cardlady22

Thank you so much for the comparison scans, Chris! I knew the LS version would be the one for me!

I like borders and "frames" that look like windows onto the scene. These have a nice balance between providing the frame and not overpowering the image, IMO.

la-luna

Thanks Chris for this preview.

As far as i can judge, the LS version of the WCS tarot is (going to be)my favorite among all modern editions.
The frames make them look much like miniature stages to me and knowing creating those was also one of Pixies occupations it gives a sort of special "cachet" i find.

Parzival

Lo scarabeo RWS Anniversary Edition

Myrrha said:
Thanks for posting those comparisons.

The top borders in the Lo Scarabeo version prevent the images from interacting with each other. It is like the images are in a cage, each one separate. They seem flatter.

Even with the sticky card stock and garish colors I would prefer the standard US games edition to the LS.

This is an interesting observation. Do you mean that the top borders are distracting and take away from the images below? Not quite sure how you see this...

Welf

Thanks for the scans...

I personally don't see much point in the top border for the different languages especially considering the main title at the bottom is in English. Makes the deck look too fussy to me, too much needless writing on every single card and is distracting. I'm not a fan of any Lo Scarabeo decks where they do that, though their cardstock and quality I love.... I would much prefer a version in a single language, be it English, German, French whatever, than have the cards cluttered at the top with muti lingual titles. Just a thing...

Also, I much rather prefer the orginal style of the title fonts rather than the computerised fonts. Other than that, the colouring looks great though, it certainly looks clear.... But all in all, just because of those few points, I much prefer the Centennial edition, then the 'Original' Rider Waite edition and the Albano before I would consider using this version.

Welf

HearthCricket

I like the colours, I like the backs, I don't mind the font, though I sort of miss it, but I don't care much for all the languages on top. My favourite LS decks are the ones that don't have that feature. Not sure if I will buy it or not. I will have to ponder this one. I appreciate all the photos shared, though. It does help one compare and make a decision one way or another!

Vesper

This thread made me get out my Rider Waite. It's from Sweden. Most of the colors are soft, like the new LS version, except for the yellow, which is still pretty eye-searing. The backs are purple, with a Rosicrucian cross. Titles are in Swedish, though. Sometimes I get Justice (Rattvisa), confused with the Queen of Swords (Drottning i Svard.)

I have to say, I really like Pamela Coleman Smith's handwritten titles in the original deck. So cool. If anything could make me buy the centennial edition, it would be so I could have the original titles.