Arcus Arcanum - The Lovers

Freddie

A link to an image of this card :

http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/122/Arcus_Arcanum#13.jpg

In this card a couple with their backs to the card front are walking into a crossroad with a man and a woman on separate paths ahead of them. this may symbolize them making a choice between the two (or taking the empty path next to them) The crossroad is shaped like an 'X'. The path next to the couple is empty, this is maybe suggesting the couple are on one path instead of two like the other couple they are meeting in the center.

The man has dark hair and the lady has blonde hair and the lady ahead of them has dark hair and the man ahead has blonde hair, this again suggests at least two different paths to take. The white roses in the forefront of the card may symbolize innocence and a new type of experience while the large tree in the backdrop appears older and seems to symbolize wisdom. In many ways this card talks about the meeting of the subconscious and the conscious mind.

This card is basically older Tarot type of symbolism in a newer type design. There is no angel in this card shooting an arrow or an older person looking at them like they are being put through the test of time. The gypsy type of interpretation of this card is generally about falling in love and I think that is true in this card, but it also suggests that we all have freewill and when the subconscious and conscious are in liaison we are able to see higher paths in our life and spirituality.

Freddie

Morwenna

Excellent thought about the fourth path in the picture; I never thought of that before.

There seem to be very many choices in this picture: will the couple part and re-form with the other two people? Will the two solitary people come together? Will they stay single? Will all of them just pass on by each other? The possibilities are many. And so, this card could be about choices in relationships or about choices in general.

Sometimes I see little things in this deck like the clothing colors or styles in the majors. The two women in this card are dressed like their counterparts in the Swords and Cups, for instance.