Granny Jones format

canid

Does anyone know if this deck was originally designed to be printed oval instead of rectangular? Looking at the images here, it seems it's possible that's the case.

Sulis

I don't know much about this deck but I think they were always supposed to be rectangular otherwise Rebecca Jones would have made them oval (since I think it's a self published deck although I could be wrong). I think the ovals are there to give the impression of looking into the world of Granny Jones :).

Wendywu

What Sulis said. I think the cards are exactly how Granny wanted them to be, or they would't be so perfect.

cardlady22

What are the actual card measurements?

Wendywu

They are 72mm x 105mm or 7.2 x 10.5 c.m. I think you divide by 2.5 to turn that into inches. I haven't got an inch rule .... and my brains are asleep even if the rest of me isn't...

shadowdancer

this is one deck I would love to get hold of but know there is more chance of juggling with soot or knitting with fog than finding someone willing to part with it.

Couldn't even tempt anyone with a silver edition BG with book set and other goodies.

sounds a fun deck to use, but one which has surprising depth

Davina

Wendywu

I have to admit that I only got mine the other day and I know already that it'd have to be a pretty dire financial crisis in our home (like no home at all .....) before I'd possibly, maybe think about parting with it, maybe and then I think I'd probably decide against losing it :D

Wendywu

I wondered if she was originally Welsh. She talks about various places in the UK and her Death card has Chun Quoit on it - from my home county of Cornwall! I did wonder if they emigrated maybe. And Jones is a very common Welsh surname, that's for sure.

Wendywu

In Cornwall on Bodmin Moor, which is a fairly small moor compared to some and not lovely compared to some, but beautiful to me and forever evocative of home, is Chun Castle. At least, the ruins of it - long gone and the sort of place school children scramble over the moor to visit. Further away from the Castle is Chun Quoit. There are lots of them round our way in Cornwall and Devon. They were burial mounds but made out of slabs of granite. Usually a hole would be dug (not overlarge) and the body would be inserted in the hole, and the slabs stacked over it. They are not consistent in shape but have consistent features. Chun Quoit is, as you say, a very visual reference. Bodmin Moor has been my favourite place for a long long time. I remember my poor husband almost carrying me up there when I spent a long period with very limited mobility - and he dug soil from there for me to put in my geomancy box (carefully replacing the rough grasses).

There is a ring of standing stones there made of solid quartz and it sings in your head.

And the Hurlers - a large group of stone circles - only small stones, but up there at the Hurlers at the right times, crystals and coins are still dropped in the right pool, and candles burned.

shadowdancer

wendy, lucky lucky you!!

You say you only got it recently - have you found a secret supply you are willilng to share knowledge of :D

Cornwall is beautiful...I have a real soft spot for Tintagel area

stay happy

Davina