an experiment at gilt edging

nisaba

Glass Owl said:
OOOh, I think that the copper would look fantastic on the Medieval Cat Tarot!
It will slide straight off that laminate.

strings of life

nisaba said:
It will slide straight off that laminate.
Cassandra022 said:
nuh-uh

:0
Nope, the ink from the product that you use for gilt edging will stay on the edges. Sure it will come off of the front and back of the cards (which you want to happen since we all can't be perfect), but it will adhere to the edges.

We know from experience ;).

LavenderLibra

I've not been able to find it here, but has anyone used a Krylon Gold Leafing pen? I saw one tonight at Meijers (while trying to find a gold pen to write on cards with). I wonder how those would work?

exxyea

I've not been able to find it here, but has anyone used a Krylon Gold Leafing pen? I saw one tonight at Meijers (while trying to find a gold pen to write on cards with). I wonder how those would work?

I just bought a Krylon Gold Leafing pen today just for tarot gilding. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work well. The gold ink rubs off onto the sides of the cards and looks a little grungy. :( Thankfully I decided to experiment first on an unwanted deck. KRYLON = NOT WORTH IT!

Carla

I bought a royal blue pigment ink stamp pad and have started the long process of edging my Celtic Tarot (Courtney Davis). How long should I let them stand to dry? 24 hours?

cardlady22

Does the pad itself give you an estimated drying time?

When I did my Merryday, I laid out 4 cards as I did them, Then the oldest done went onto a general stack. I kept swapping out the 4 stations that way. The Tsukineko brand is billed as "fast-drying" and it did well.

Next up will be the Moonlight White on my Alchemical Renewed III and a grungy Enchanted. (the thick brick one) I'll pay closer attention to time with them.

Carla

Does the pad itself give you an estimated drying time?

When I did my Merryday, I laid out 4 cards as I did them, Then the oldest done went onto a general stack. I kept swapping out the 4 stations that way. The Tsukineko brand is billed as "fast-drying" and it did well.

Next up will be the Moonlight White on my Alchemical Renewed III and a grungy Enchanted. (the thick brick one) I'll pay closer attention to time with them.

Well, I couldn't find anything about drying time, but I can see it's a LONG time. My hobby shop didn't have Tsukineko brand, just some pads called 'INK It Up!'. Fiasco this morning. Lots of rubbing of ink off card surfaces. A thrown out rag. A smear on the side of the bathtub frantically rubbed out. One card impulsively trimmed of borders--instantly regretted, so now the trimmed 9 of Wands has been superglued onto a spare card from the Arthurian Tarot (which fortunately is exactly the same size as the Celtic Tarot.) That 9 of Wands had been totally folded over anyway by the previous owner and was in need of reinforcement. It was in dire straits.

I will carry on with the edge coloring, but will do it 4 a day as Cardlady22 suggests. Pigment ink is not an instant gratification thing like trimming. This may be my one and only go at it!

(I can't tell you how mournfully I looked at that denuded 9 of Wands before inspiration struck and I glued it to another card. Relief flooded through me.)

If nothing else, my Celtic and I will have completely bonded through this process, as I continue to wound it and then do my best to patch it up along the way. We'll both have scars by the end of it. And all because the previous owner apparently had VERY grubby hands. I think in the end it will all be worth it, as I seriously could not deal with the filthy card edges.

cardlady22

I will carry on with the edge coloring, but will do it 4 a day as Cardlady22 suggests. Pigment ink is not an instant gratification thing like trimming. This may be my one and only go at it!
The brands vary so tremendously! Markers too.

I wasn't clear enough. I lay out the 4 cards singly before I stack them. This probably would not work unless the pad one uses is fast-drying.

stack

1 2
3 4

Does that help any? I will do all the edges of card 1 and lay it there. Then I do card 2 and lay it beside.
Next is card 3, followed by card 4.

By that point in time, card 1 gets moved above to create a single stack. Card 5 (or whichever you are on) would then get laid where card 1 was.

I did edge my deck in one sitting ~ an afternoon project.

Carla

Oh! Thanks for clarifying. My brand is SLOW drying. I can't do this project in one day. The ones I did yesterday seem nearly dry. That's 24 hours nearly exactly. So...I'll be doing them roughly 16 a day, because that's how big the 'drying area' is. :)