an experiment at gilt edging

Myrrha

The green does look nice on that deck. It just makes the edges seem less raw. I'm dying to experiment with this stuff, not necessarily on tarot cards, but too many projects going right now.

cardlady22

Any suggestions for which color or metallic tone would look best with the Victorian Romantic? I am hopeless at judging from a color label on the lid of a tube or bottle. :laugh: You should see what a few touch-ups of my kids' Pokemon figures turned out like! Had to re-coat the entire area because they didn't match closely enough.

shadowdancer

mm not easy to suggest on that one.

The VR lends itself to a gold of sorts. Just my opinion here, but I think gold leaf is too bright and sparkly - doesn't give the vibe of being old or Victorian in keeping with the deck.

Grecian gold might be too orangey. I haven't seen or used it, but antique gold might work with it. If anyone has used that shade they might be able to give a heads up of how it looks

Davina

cardlady22

Part of me is thinking that Ruby color, but if it's "wrong" compared to the card backs . . . there is gold metallic ink in the back design too. I might have to take the title card into Michaels and ask if anyone has worked with it to know how close the shades are.

Hemera

shadowdancer said:
Also done the Sweet Twighlight with same shade :)
Davina
Ooh, now you got me curious:)

canid

I'm gilding my mini New Vision with a gold metallic permanent marker & it looks beautiful! Probably easier than the paste. I'm on the 2nd coat to make it even shinier. Next on the list is my trimmed Robin Wood but I think I'll do that silver. I tried doing 2-3 at a time but it dripped down on the images so now it's one at a time. Had to do a few really quick wipe-ups.

Cerulean

Gorgeous and metallic stickers perhaps

..or Victorian-style with luscious and rich fall tones.
Not sure if you guys have a suitable tarot other than the Truthseekers--but there are metallic star stickers that I used up that seem to have beautiful sheens similar to gel pens--you might want to hole punch or cut them up for random metallic sheen to dress up your gilded experiments.

You are all going to laugh, but in my quest to enrich an Easternized tarot that goes with my Victorian Rubiyat poetry reprints, I am hoping to have time soon...this thread is an inspiration! I thought of gilding my ex library $1.00 book find and my silly adornment experiment with an unnamed modern tarot bought in a bargain bin with similar art styles (nothing rare-I haven't finished my adorning, so will have a guess post if the gilding works.)

I may continue more careful gilt experiments like the wonderful ones here by these artists on a BOTA deck that has good cardboard strong enough for sticker or small collage..

Silverlyn

Oh goody, I didn't realize there was already a Gilding (or is it Gilting?) Thread of diy pics:)

That Green on the Gilded looks pretty!

I also got two bottles (Silver and Gold) from Michaels. It's a liquid.

And I'm soon gonna gild (gilt?) some of my decks. And if I'm any good at it, I'm gonna Silver my BGR!:)

Morwenna

Question

Would all this gilding come off on your hands if they were sweaty or something? It's the main reason I never thought to try anything like that.

I'm fascinated by the edging treatments I'm learning about here but I'm gunshy.

irmata

Oh man, gilt in a pot? I would be dan-ger-OUS with this stuff! Picture gilt edging on _everything_, let alone tarot decks. It's a childhood obsession brought on by antique books and I'm all about satisfying my inner child ;D