Dark Grimoire Tarot - The Empress

teomat

A woman stands in what appears to be a temple. A group of men bow before her in worship and she holds her arms open as if welcoming the adulation she's receiving. She has a somewhat sly expression and appears to enjoy the attention she's getting.

The Empress usually signifies love, beauty, the natural world and motherhood, however this Empress seems to lean more towards the femme fatale aspect. She is powerful and enjoys wielding that power over her realm. She is unpredictable - benevolent one moment, and tyrannical the next.

On a slightly more positive note, the men may be pleading for help, and her posture could suggest that she is open and willing to provide assistance. Perhaps they are starving, and she offers the bowl of food at her feet? Is she their salvation?

Or of course, they may be begging for mercy. She wears a white dress and reddish drape, symbolising purity and passion, but her curious expression reveals her true, darker nature.

But then again, being a bit selfish is good sometimes. She has power, self-confidence and belief in herself (even if that comes across as vanity). She commands respect and attention, and although we may disagree with her motives, her sheer nerve and intelligence can also be admired.

Onyx

An Empress of the Dark realm recieves the homage and worship of her subjects. Beautiful and fair she seems out of place in this world but the look of triumph on her face shows that she loves and welcomes the attention. Her reign is unlike her husband the Emperor's. It is not based on the trappings of power such as a throne or military might. Her power is from teh loving devotion of her people who willingly submit themselves to her rule.

The Empress archetype is of female leadership. This is first seen in life in the mothe and then later in life as the wife, teacher, queen and even lover. Astrologically linked with Venus she may well be a tempermental goddess to her people. Love and fury are closely related with her. She is a very feminine archetype that in some ways she seems weak and powerless (devoide of magical strength) but I know that this Queen of Queens has power and though subtle is is notheless real.

Onyx.

Myrrha

A woman stands on a dias in a long white (the moon, femininity) gown and red sash (lust, anger, passion). Her gold mitre-shaped crown is similar to the crown of Ishtar. Men worship her and she stands with her palms out to receive their adoration. She smiles. Behind her large stone carvings speak out loud. They speak of her beauty and grace and tell stories about her reign, the times she led her people to victory in war, the famous seductions.

Her gown is certainly hugging her curves and her smile is lusty and a little cruel. The two worshippers in the background seem to have devolved and become beast-like. Like Circe, she can turn men into beasts. I feel that her power over them is sexual.

When I was in my teens and early twenties my experiences taught me that if a man was sexually attracted to me that meant I was vulnerable. Then I met a man who adored me and learned that if a man was sexually attracted to me that actually gave me a certain power over him. That is what this card reminds me of.

Female sexual power, ruling your life, expressing your anger (Ishtar is a goddess of war as well as of sexual love), staying in touch with what you really feel, having your own way, being in charge.

Edit: yes, as teomat said: "being a bit selfish is good sometimes." I think I will like this deck.

direwolf336

When I was in my teens and early twenties my experiences taught me that if a man was sexually attracted to me that meant I was vulnerable. Then I met a man who adored me and learned that if a man was sexually attracted to me that actually gave me a certain power over him. That is what this card reminds me of.

Edit: yes, as teomat said: "being a bit selfish is good sometimes." I think I will like this deck.

That's interesting, I don't get a sexual power vibe from this at all and I certanly don't get the normal mother, warm, caring Empress vibe. This card seems like a domination over subjects, slaves or just men, but not in a sexual way. These men or creatures seem almost to be begging for a mercy of types. They seem to bow down in fear not worship. Perhaps in this world, she is the wicked Empress mother!!!