9 of Cups as advice in job hunting

tigerlily

Every time I do a reading for myself re: searching for a job, I get this card as "advice". It's starting to get on my nerves a bit. First I thought it meant that I should enjoy the good things in my life and not to become too obsessed with the search - but now I'm beginning to suspect that my deck is just being nasty, laughting in my face and saying: "Ha! You wish..."

Any other thoughts? Please?

lark

I think as an advice card it offers you two things
a peek into what kind of job might be suited to you
And a peek into an attitude you need to change before you find that job.

What kind of job...
In the area of hospitality...could be anything from waitress to hotel deck clerk...a job where you offer or help others feel welcome.
Flight attendant, receptionist...etc.
Or a job where you offer an indulgence, like a spa, cosmetic sales, bartender, high end clothing, shoes ect...the list goes on.

The peek into your inner attitude may be that you need to drop the belief in a limited good...and go for what makes you happy...such a belief can hold you back because you see a job as tedious or a necessary evil instead of something that could bring you not only wealth, but happiness and fufilment.
The man in the 9 of Cups understands his true worth and won't settle for less.
And the card might be advising you to start thinking that way to and the universe will reward you with the right job situation.

Hope this helps you see the card in a new light. :)

Fostha

Maybe the advice is to make sure you have a real sense of psychological balance and receptivity,as this is what leads to inner emotional balance.No matter how much the world "loses its head",if you can maintain your poise and peace of mind,no situation can ever really disturb ur inner security and contentment.Always approach life from a position of equilibrium,and make sure ur centred enough in urself, to handle whatever life puts ur way, in a happy,calm manner,and you wont go wrong,and then most things in life really can be "whatever you wish for." Good luck.

tigerlily

lark said:
The man in the 9 of Cups understands his true worth and won't settle for less.
And the card might be advising you to start thinking that way to and the universe will reward you with the right job situation.

Hope this helps you see the card in a new light. :)

Everything you wrote helped, but the part I quoted was especially enlightening; I think this is the main problem I have. Thank you!

tigerlily

Fostha said:
make sure ur centred enough in urself, to handle whatever life puts ur way, in a happy,calm manner,and you wont go wrong,and then most things in life really can be "whatever you wish for." Good luck.

A lot of things you mentioned I ususally find in the Justice or Temperance card, not necessarily in the 9/Cups - but it's true that it shows some sort of emotional self-sufficiency (that I lack - but when you absolutely need a job to sustain yourself, this sort of inner calm is hard to maintain...)

tigerlily

Just wanted to add that I didn't inted my answers as post closure - I'd still like your good ideas to come in :)

Nevada

I was about to post, but then I read lark's post and she said nearly all I wanted to say. I agree with her. Especially regarding hospitality types of jobs.

I would only add that sometimes, when we're starting to get a little desperate, we allow it to show in our faces, our voices, our body language and posture. That can be interpreted the wrong way by an interviewer, and be totally unconscious on our parts if we're nervous.

Maybe the 9 of Cups is a hint to psyche yourself up when you to go interviews, work up some enthusiasm for the business, whatever it is. (Not too much though, no extremes.) A little enthusiasm, a smile, go a long way in an interview. I've noticed that especially small business owners tend to think of their business as their baby, and hope their employees will love it nearly as much as they do.

starrystarrynight

Just some thoughts and possibilities (maybe not relevant at all...)

I think the Nine of Cups is often about sensual happiness and pleasure--and also, as a Cup card, about intuitive creativity. It is a Nine, which often points to endings and terminations. How that might answer a question about your job search (in my mind) is that you may need to come down to the reality that what you are searching for in a job--which would make your wishes come true and fulfill you in the area of intuitive creativity--may not be realistic for you right now. In other words, you may be applying for "dream" jobs--jobs for which you are well-suited, but may not be available at this time for you; however, what is available to you at the moment may be more mundane and less creative than you would like...but they will pay the bills, so to speak.

In other words, you may have to "look lower" than you might otherwise be looking in the job market (and that may have less to do with you than it has to do with the job market at this time.)

Again, just something that occurred to me...Good luck on your search!

willowfox

Perhaps enjoy looking, don't take the hunt so seriously, and/or, look only for a job that you will enjoy doing.

tigerlily

starrystarrynight said:
(...)you may need to come down to the reality that what you are searching for in a job--which would make your wishes come true and fulfill you in the area of intuitive creativity--may not be realistic for you right now. In other words, you may be applying for "dream" jobs--jobs for which you are well-suited, but may not be available at this time for you; however, what is available to you at the moment may be more mundane and less creative than you would like...but they will pay the bills, so to speak.

In other words, you may have to "look lower" than you might otherwise be looking in the job market (and that may have less to do with you than it has to do with the job market at this time.)

Again, just something that occurred to me...Good luck on your search!
The thing is, I am already looking for "humble" jobs, since I'm a student and can only work a few hours a week (between the lectures and the learning...). So perhaps the card is actually urging me not to look too low...

Yes, willowfox, that thought had occurred to me, too, but my financial support will dry up next spring, so it's hard to be not a bit pressured for success...

I'd like to thank all of you for your suggestions; they were very helpful for expanding the card's meanings into job territory. I haven't done too many readings on job/career, so I draw a blank more often than not.