Iolite and .....

samantha

A couple of quick questions :)

Firstly , those of you who have Iolite at home ....what do you use it / find it
good for ?

Secondly , I'm trying to find out the name of a stone that I saw , and fell in
love with a couple of weeks ago . Again like Iolite it was a soft blue / violet in colour , but unlike Iolite it had the same kind of internal milky 'sheen' / movement that moonstone does ( where the colours blend from one to the other fluidly ). In this case the colours were all shades and hues of blue/violet. Any ideas ?? The girl in the shop spoke no English , and didn't know the name in her own language either ! I might just go back and buy it anyway ....but this isn't going to help me find out what it is ! Many thanks !

MCsea

HI
I love my iolite I have a cut gemstone quality one set in a necklace I wear to funerals, it helps me and others remember there is more..
the purple changes to smokey colour - but only one dimension can be seen at a time..
Iolite is the gemstone variety of cordierite, and is pleochroic violet and smoky-grey coloured. I beleive Iolite opens the door to spiritual realms and promotes mental clarity. It helps people beyond the facade of human nature it unveils the real nature of time and space.

THe other stone - hmm it may not be pleochroic like Iolite... (borrowed from this site http://www.jewelinfo4u.com/Pleochroism_in_gemstones.aspx)

Tourmaline is a dichronic substance reflecting two colors in which ordinary ray is absorbed and extraordinary ray is transmitted. Cordierite crystal show trichorism when light passes through parallel to three crystal axis violet, yellow or blue light is absorbed. When crystal is cut the axis edges show mixed colors of blue, yellow, violet and yellow, violet and blue. Tanzanite is also another popular diachronic stone in which there is selective absorption of different lights displaying brilliant colors ranging from blue to purple when seen from different light sources. Blue Aquamarine sometimes might show a slight color change from pink to green if viewed from different directions. Fluorpatite is a diachronic yellow mineral which turns blue when it is viewed along its axis. There are some other stones which show best examples of Pleochroism. These are:

-Andalusite which show change in color yellow green to red brown.
-Zoisite which show colors from pink to yellow.
-Kunzite which show colors from pale pink to dark pink.
-Iolite which show colors from blue to purple.
-Corundum which shows color from violet to orange.
-Alexandrite which colors from red purple to orange to dark green.
-Peridot which shows colors from yellow green to green.
-Beryl which shows color violet to being colorless.
-Elbanite which shows pale color to dark color.
-Carletonite which shows blue color to being colorless.

canid

Maybe it's rainbow moonstone? Or angelite?

samantha

MCsea : Thankyou for taking the time to type that out for me ! Hmm , "real
nature of time and space " . I've been thinking about this recently ..
perhaps some kind of tug then ?!

I went to have a look at some pics. of these gems . The Carletonite
could be a contender ! The one in the shop was shaped en
cabochon , so I'm having to guess what the raw would look like if
polished . Also found something called "Indicolite " , from the
tourmaline family . Again , the colour looks similar .

Canid : No , not either of those ! But thanks anyway !

I'll just have to go back to the shop and try and barter my way to a better
price ! Hopefully the owner might be there and can write the name down for
me .

MCsea

I hope 'we' find out what it is - it sounds lovely and when a crystal calls your name - well it somehow finds its way into our lives...
(we hope)

MARINA

NakorTBR

(taken from...http://crystalsandjewelry.com/goodies/metaphysical/crystals/properties/i)

Iolite is popularly known as water sapphire, although it is not a type of sapphire at all. It is, however, one of the best stones to use in psychic, healing, and spiritual activities. It can open one to psychic talents and expand them, and is excellent for use on the 3rd eye and crown chakras. It was used in thin sheets by the ancient Vikings as a “lens” to see during their ocean voyages, as the world’s first polarising filter, and is often known as the Viking stone. It is thus said that iolite can bring clear psychic vision. It can also enhance curiosity. It is also an excellent stone for meditation and astral travel. It helps one grow spiritually in a gentle fashion. Iolite is considered a very strong “Shaman” stone, and can stimulate visions. Iolite is very helpful when dealing with addictions, including alcoholism. It is also said to help build relationships of all kinds. It assists in detoxification as well as maintaining sobriety. Iolite is also said to help build relationships. In the physical realm, iolite is used to help heal sore throat, varicose veins, and blisters.

samantha

Thanks for that NakorTBR ! Really interesting . I know that both of my grandfathers distant ancestors came from Scandinavia ( like thousands of other people !! :) ) ...so maybe my viking heritage is calling me ??!! I'd like to think so ! I like the properties , as described , of this stone . Especially the gentle growth of spirituality / relationships and detoxification ! Haven't had a chance to go back to look at the stones yet . Maybe early next week . I'm optermistic that they won't have been sold ; too expensive I think.

samantha

The mystery stone was KYANITE ! And it had been sold ! :(

Had a look at some pieces of Iolite elsewhere , but not nearly as beautiful as
some pics I have seen on the net . Never mind , will keep looking !