Help me find a deck for meditation, contemplation, journaling, and healing

2_Journey

Hi everyone! Long time no see. At the beginning of summer, a series of events happened in the course of a week that spent my life spinning out of control. But in a good way! Very exciting things are afoot!

But I pretty much dropped off the face of the internet after that, and I've been playing catch up ever since. I realized recently that I miss tarot, and I miss AT, and so I'm back, though I may be in-and-out for a while.

All of that is prologue to my question. I find myself, my life, and my situation changing very, very fast. I'm looking for a deck to help me keep up with all of these new changes. I'll aim to use it exclusively for meditation, contemplation, journaling, and healing. I want the deck to have:
- non-traditional imagery (not a RWS or Thoth clone)
- positive imagery
- limited words on borders, or easily trimmable borders

I spent some time browsing around the Decks section, and so far, I've come up with:
Circle of Life
Dream Enchantress
Contemplative
Wheel of Change
Songs for the Journey Home
Oracle of the Dragonfae (if I decide to use an oracle...)

Are there others I should be considering? So far I'm leaning towards the Circle of Life, but I'm open to new ideas. Thoughts?

2_Journey

PS -- I haven't been to AT in months, so I have a million PM's to reply to. I will be doing so in the next few days. Sorry for the dely!

canid

Does it have to be tarot? I just got Ancient Feminine Wisdom in a trade & it's stunning. Although I have a few oracle decks, I haven't really used any, but this is one I'm seriously studying. Take a peek, it may be what you're after -

http://www.usgamesinc.com/product.php?productid=1032

2_Journey

It most certainly does not have to be tarot. I posted my question in the tarot forum because the majority of the decks I am considering are tarot. That deck is lovely! Will think about it, though am not sure I'm looking for a Goddess deck, but that deck is pretty enough to change my mind. It's deep, you say? Hmmm.

DaisyDragonfly

What about Rachel Pollack's Shining Tribe? It fits your criteria; and I find it to be an excellent deck for spiritual self-development and self-examination. Something about the primitive, non-traditional artwork...

2_Journey

I had thought of the Shining Tribe, and it would fit my purpose perfectly, except I used it exclusively and intensively for months a few years ago. I'm really interested in a deck I don't already have associations with. There are times when I want to "feel like I am coming home" to a deck, but now I want to start with an entirely new deck that is free from old associations.

weaver

Reading your post, two decks sprang to mind. I see you already have one of the two; Songs for the Journey Home.

The other really nice deck for the purpose you are looking for is the Vision Quest Tarot. The artwork is lovely and the wonderful booklet that accompanies the deck might be perfect for your use. Though Native Americans are featured on all of the Majors and Court cards, I really think of it as simply an earth based deck. On the down side, I have seen it described as having a Thoth structure. (I don't honestly see it, but it bears mentioning.) The real downside to the deck in my estimation is that the cards have keywords. I like the deck so much, I just ignore them!

Welcome back, 2_Journey, and good luck with your search! :love:

2_Journey

Ooooh, the Vision Quest is gorgeous! I had never seen it before. If I can get past the Native American theme, it might work perfectly. I love the minors.

Does anyone know if it is OOP? Amazon says "ships in 2-3 weeks," which I sometimes think means, "out of print but we haven't updated our database yet," lol. Lovely deck that I would never have considered. Thanks for the recommendation!

Grizabella

How about Pearls of Wisdom? It was very healing for the woman who created it after the deaths of her mother, husband and son in quick succession and I find it absolutely wonderful! You'd spend years before you'd run out of the symbolism and things to journal about with it. I find it really, really healing and fun as well for me. In person, the deck has so much more than the images online can convey.

Nevada

This sounds like a job for Tarot of Transformaton. :) I find it amazing for personal insight and helping me understand my personal journey through life.