Is the Thoth used much for reading?

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
I find the images of the RWS minors a bit too restrictive much of the time. As though they have a little too much hangover of Victorian sentimentality.
Hear, hear! Waiter, a banana for that man!

nisaba

Kosmoran said:
I feel more comfortable with the RWS images exactly because they look more concrete to me; also, you can see a kind of story going on in the suits.
Surely that's a problem? It limits the stories that the cards can convey to the story that is already there?

Kosmoran

It depends on how you see it. In the end, it's a matter of personal preference, I suppose. I personally think the Thoth imagery is too dreamy, kinda psychedelic, I can't relate them to anything. The RWS images seem more concrete to me. But I'm not saying that the RWS deck is the best, or better than the Thoth. Still, artistically speaking, I think the Thoth images are more appealing.

AprilFool

I've owned the Thoth (3 Magus version) for several years and it's been languishing in my unused drawer.

I just purchased several "companion" decks - a second 3-Magus deck (because it was sitting on a dusty shelf in an old shop), the large Green box (& a spare - I will trim one of them), a blue-box small (& a spare because they are cute), a Liber-T, and Anthony Clark's Ceremonial Magick Tarot Set (because it looks old and is supposedly related to the Thoth in design).

I also purchased two books - Duquette's "Understanding..." and Banzhauf's "Keywords..." These are VERY different! ;) I also got Scion's wonderful PDF file about the Liber-T, which looks absolutely fascinating! :D

Anyhow - I am getting ready to dig into the Thoth & it's friends (Liber-T and Magickal), to whatever degree and depth makes me happy - I doubt if I'll worry too much about really trying to memorize too much, or research too much. But I'm looking forward to whatever level this type of deck has to offer (artistic, inspirational, historical, etc.).

Lilija

AprilFool said:
I also got Scion's wonderful PDF file about the Liber-T, which looks absolutely fascinating! :D

Oooh, I would very much like one of those, how does one go about getting it?

Also, I'm glad you're taking the plunge, I did it in much the same way, a few years ago, sort of casually, deck in hand, just pursuing interesting reading, and it really changed everything for me.

Sulis

Lilija said:
Oooh, I would very much like one of those, how does one go about getting it?

Also, I'm glad you're taking the plunge, I did it in much the same way, a few years ago, sort of casually, deck in hand, just pursuing interesting reading, and it really changed everything for me.

Post in this thread Lilija: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=85073

Lore347

I have a few decks, and have read with them. I like other decks.

That said, I have never felt that I had a deep relationship with any other deck besides my beloved Thoth. It gives me straight answers and it never holds back. Its artwork is not only beautiful, it also challenges me to see beyond my own preconceptions. If someone wants a no holds barred in your face answer to something, Thoth is the one with the guts to give it.

ann823

Thanks to everyone who posted! I traded for a deck and it came today, it's wonderful and there's so much to it. It's also bigger than I thought (bigger than the Druidcraft )which is great for study, but I may have to learn to trim eventually.

It sounds like the Duquette book would be the first to get for the Thoth? I think I'll do what Scion has suggested and just work with the deck for a while...although I might not make it 3 months bookless.

Any other suggestions?

Ann

nisaba

ann823 said:
Thanks to everyone who posted! I traded for a deck and it came today, it's wonderful and there's so much to it. It's also bigger than I thought (bigger than the Druidcraft )which is great for study, but I may have to learn to trim eventually.

Any other suggestions?
<raises hand> Yes, I have one.

Turn your deck sideways (90 degrees) so that you're holding it by the sides instead of the ends for the shuffle. You can shuffle the biggest decks that way, just using a slightly slower and longer arm-movement. Perfect.

gregory

I like the Duquette best, but others say it MUST be the Book of Thoth or nothing. It is on line somewhere, so at least won't cost you.....