The Book of the Law Study Group 2.7

thorhammer

The "cube in the circle" bit reminds me of my foray into the significance of platonic solids.

\m/ Kat

Grigori

lots of shrugging today

thorhammer said:
The "cube in the circle" bit reminds me of my foray into the significance of platonic solids.

\m/ Kat

The cube is Earth isn't it Kat? Earth within the circle... I wonder how that can be interpreted. We've look before at the idea of Hadit being the point within the Sphere, but cube within a circle seems very different to me. The point is dimensionless, within a 3D sphere. The cube however is 3D within a flat/2D circle.

I've never really grasped the idea of Hadit being the one who goes. I can relate this to the idea of Hadit being about motion, kind of reminds me of the idea of Geburah or the number 5 representing motion, which I guess is an appropriate relationship in some ways. But where he is going to and from.... *shrugs*

Co-incidentally I was reading The Equinox this morning, and found a reference to the 'axle of the wheel' in 'Crowley's Account of the A.A.'

From all time, therefore, there has been a hidden assembly, a society of the Elect, of those who sought for and had capacity for light, and this interior society was the Axle of the R.O.T.A.

Perhaps not really related at all, but the idea of levels seemed similar to me. We've been looking at Hadit, the spark within the Khabs, which in turn is within the Khu. Maybe there is some value in looking at the A.A. as the spark within the outer orders, R.R.et.A.C., G.D., O.T.O etc.. *shrugs*

thorhammer

The idea of Hadit as "the one who goes" is a frighteningly tenuous thing to me. He is motion but with no origin or destination, no point of reference, no direction or objective or memory. But is this only in a vacuum? What about in the context of Hadit-within-Nuit?

Yes, the cube is Earth, the most immovable of the platonic solids. The 3-dimensionality of the cube in relation to the 2-d of the circle could reflect, again, a perspective/point of view thing; the Hadit-self is the most important thing hence has more dimensions.

OR!

Maybe this inherent disjunction between the dimensionality that we keep coming up against reflects a fundamental difference between the realities of Hadit and Nuit. If one is multi-dimensional, the other cannot be.

\m/ Kat

Grigori

thorhammer said:
Maybe this inherent disjunction between the dimensionality that we keep coming up against reflects a fundamental difference between the realities of Hadit and Nuit. If one is multi-dimensional, the other cannot be.

Ooh I like that a lot :thumbsup:

I decided to cheat and check out some commentaries, I like some of Eshelman's suggestions in particular.

James Eshelman said:
If “the cube in the circle.” means the “cube within the sphere,” then it refers to the Enochian model of the cubical Universe within concentric spherical Aethyrs. If “circle” is literally meant, however, then we have an altar within a magical circle, and a phallic stone or cube existing within the feminine symbol. “Cube” and “stone,” of course, depict the object of the Great Work whereby “Father” and “Son” are seen as One (ABN). “Cube” also requires six sides, hence a solar (which also always means stellar) idea within the circle of Nuit, or (within the microcosm) of a given ego.

Correspondent Robert Westmoreland has written that “cube in the circle” suggests to him the Islamic Kaaba, “which is a cubic stone surrounded by an ever-moving circle of the faithful. The word kaaba comes from the Arabic word kab, meaning ‘cube.’” I am very excited about this perspective — it may even have been a specific image that inspired Crowley’s mind during the writing, and it integrates many of the other ideas expressed here.

In any case, this “axle” and “cube” are both something at the center, and the “wheel” and “circle” are both circular or cyclical. Both express Centrum in Trigono Centri, and many ideas we have aleady associated with Hadit, including the phallic, creative, central, vital, &c.

I particularly like the idea of the image being the Altar (Hadit) within the Magician Circle (Nuit).

Grigori

Still reading the first volume of the Equinox and found this in a poem by Crowley

The Wizards Way said:
All the ringed encampment vies With the infinite galaxies. In the midst a cubic stone With the Devil set thereon;

Perhaps I have circles on the brain, but seems like the ring is equated to infinite galaxies which would be Nuit, and the cubic stone's Devil could be Hadit.

thorhammer

Ooh, so have you got your Sepher Sephiroth on hand to look for the significance of 15?

I don't . . .

\m/ Kat

Grigori

thorhammer said:
Ooh, so have you got your Sepher Sephiroth on hand to look for the significance of 15?

I don't . . .

\m/ Kat

Nope sorry :laugh: though will look when able. But Hadit=Satan sometimes.... Perhaps its not the number that matters so much in this case.

thorhammer

I found a digi copy on my work puter - two things stand out.

He who impels; to force.

To hide.

Geburah, Chokmah and Hod are all mentioned as well. Covering all bases, eh?

The impels/force thing seems to dovetail with "he who goes" somehow - does this job anyone else's mind?

Nu is the hiding of Hadit, we are told, so then the altar/cube/Devil within the circle is hiding.

\m/ Kat

Lore347

15 is also the number of the God-Name Yah (Yod Heh). Yah is the God-Name of Chokmah, the Supernal Masculine. 15 is the Devil.

Hadit=Yah=Chokmah=Devil.