A New Look at the TdM Bateleur

Rosanne

This was said in one of the many threads about card one Le Bateleur
Petit Robert gives a good definition "Bateleur, euse - noun, attested since the 13th century; perhaps from the old french baastel 'tool and trick of the conjurer'. [obsolete or archaic] A person who performs acrobatics, juggling, conjuring, and feats of strength in public places and at fairs".

A related verb is bateler, known from the 16th century, perhaps from old French baastel 'conjurer's tool', meaning to perform magic and sleight-of-hand tricks.

Thus, a bateleur is an entertainer, particularly a magician or acrobat.

A few weeks ago I was putting together an album of all the postcards and bits and pieces I had collected in Italy. One postcard was purchased in Venice at the Correr Museum. In the corner was the tiniest picture of what I thought was a TdM Bateleur. Because it was too small to scan successfully- I went searching for it and found that it was in a very expensive folio about Tobacco.(Jerome Brooks- Tobacco:It's History-Illustrated by the Books and Manuscripts in the Library Of George Arents.) That really surprised me.
Below I will show a picture by a Venetian artist(Jan Grevembroch c.1600) who chronicled daily life.
The only two things that are different are that the table does not have a roof, and there is not a three leafed tobacco plant growing between his feet.
So it would seem to me that the model for the Bateleur of TdM fame is a tobacco merchant. If this is so, it opens up for me at least, a whole new dimension for readers.
On page 145 Vol 1 Kaplan Tarot Encyclopedia of Tarot is the Vandenborre Belgium Tarot. Le Bateleux holds in his hand what appears to be a musket or early form of cigar- not a wand. These Merchants that sold tobacco- sold all sorts of remedies- tobacco was supposed to cure a multitude of ills, including syphilis. It also supposedly bought on hallucinations.

If this is what the TdM type Bateleur was- then at the very least it dates the origin of these cards- they could not have been created before the Visconti, nor before the mid 16th century.

It explains the peculiar three leafed plant common to many TdM style cards- and many of the odd items on the table- like the purse and jars for leaf and snuff. The Jars not for hide the pea games- but containers for tobacco. The Hadar reconstruction has a purse or sack with what could well be tobacco leaves.
I mentioned the Vandenborre Tarot, because of its clarity and the fact it has a pipe on the table as well.
So as I wrote elsewhere...
Well it was thought that tobacco smoke prevented or protected against the plague.
Some Taverns were called tabgies in England and tabacchis in Italy because it was thought you magically 'drank the smoke' and became intoxicated- and therefore in English it was known as Sotweed.
The Church led the opposition to tobacco as it was a distraction from Holy objectives and a source of earthly delight, that it challenged Church teachings of forgoing earthly pleasure for rewards in the next life. It became an instrument of Heresy and a threat to Church power; and like gambling a loss of revenue. In the 16th century it was a Mortal sin to use tobacco. It was linked to the Devil- there are stories that grew about the Devil defecating and out sprouted tobacco.
This Pagan smoke (most likely because of the godless place it came from) had devilish magical properties- it was rumoured to induce trances and give spiritual enlightenment- so it was Pagan Holy and Christian Sinful.

Anyone interested in discussing this?
~Rosanne

Attachments

• Death 1230015.JPG
    Death 1230015.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 231
  • NobletPair.jpg
    NobletPair.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 217

Bernice

Rosanne! I've read about the (probable) tobacco connection somewhere else. Can't remember where......but it was this year for sure. And I thought at the time that it must indeed be a cigar that he's holding.

I wondered at the time if the tobacco-man had morphed into the flim-flam man or vice-versa.

Bee :)

Rosanne

Hi Bernice, I wrote about this on another forum, not so long ago. I would be interested if you could remember where you saw it? And pm me :D

I think it was always a tobacco Merchant for the TdM style cards and what interested me was that maybe it was never a wand- so never a Magician.
The Noblet is the earliest it is thought and that was 1650. So when it became time for the occult Tarot- it was based on a product- not magic, and certainly not out of Egypt.
~Rosanne

Bernice

Rosanne:....So when it became time for the occult Tarot- it was based on a product- not magic, and certainly not out of Egypt.
I just LOVE this. All that esoterica based on an early advertisment :laugh:

Which only goes to show that magic is in the 'beholder' = it can be found everywhere and in everything.

Bee :) <chuckling....>

P.S. But this surely warrants a new approach to the other cards in the TdM. The classical ideas and thoughts of those times appear to be present in the deck, but there are other odd images whose meanings have been 'cobbled' together to make sense for present day ideas of the original ideas......

Bernice

Le Bateluer: The tobacco Man ?

The beginning of european knowledge (and smoking of) tobacco:

Extract from a Tobacco Timeline from:
http://www.tobacco.org/History/Tobacco_History.html

"# 1492-10-12: Columbus Discovers Tobacco; "Certain Dried Leaves" Are Received as Gifts, and Thrown Away.

On this bright morning Columbus and his men set foot on the New World for the first time, landing on the beach of San Salvador Island or Samana Cay in the Bahamas, or Gran Turk Island. The indigenous Arawaks, possibly thinking the strange visitors divine, offer gifts. Columbus wrote in his journal,
the natives brought fruit, wooden spears, and certain dried leaves which gave off a distinct fragrance. As each item seemed much-prized by the natives; Columbus accepted the gifts and ordered them brought back to the ship. The fruit was eaten; the pungent "dried leaves" were thrown away.

# 1492-10-15: Columbus Mentions Tobacco. "We found a man in a canoe going from Santa Maria to Fernandia. He had with him some dried leaves which are in high value among them, for a quantity of it was brought to me at San Salvador" -- Christopher Columbus' Journal

# 1492-11: Jerez and Torres Discover Smoking; Jerez Becomes First European Smoker.........."

Compare the dates with the tarot appearances, and of course Italy, Venice etc.
It might be that Le Bateleur was a tobacco seller as early as the late 15th century.......?

Rosanne

As far as I can figure 1530 would be the earliest- but it is known that sailors spread the 'Habit'.
One of the things that would have restricted smoking was that tinder boxes were used before 'Matches' became common. Matches were not invented until 1530 and they were little shards of pine dipped in sulfur. Before that a cord of fabric was used and lit from a tinder box. I would imagine the invention of the match was necessitated by people smoking- by 1530 Taverns had a great supply of tinder boxes for their clients. One would have to wonder why.
So smoking may have been common earlier as you suggest Bernice. Europeans were cultivating crops of Tobacco in Cuba by 1530- so there would have to be a market- you would think.

What I am really curious about is not about the dreaded weed, but what difference it makes to Tarot if the Bateleur was a tobacco Merchant. Why he would be card number one? Was it the medicinal aspect? Was it the Merchant aspect- Because we see a cobbler in some cards? There is a common occurrence of specific things with everyday Tarot (and Playing cards) Sailors/Soldiers/Taverns/Drinking/Gambling/Smoking.
Even today Tobacconists sell cards in Italy- that is where I obtained most of my decks whilst traveling.
As an interesting sideline: As a generalisation the English took to Pipe smoking, The Spanish and Portuguese to cigar or musket smoking, The French and Italians to Snuff- the Americans to Chaw or chewing tobacco in the early days.
~Rosanne

Bernice

"...found a man going from Santa Maria to Fernandia"
Is that Spain, not Italy/Venice? And the names "Jerez and Torres", spanish?

Further on in that timeline article tobacco was thought to make people 'high', although that's not how it's described. Could the card be depicting a 'drug' merchant - seller of dreams, as well as possibly medicinal? Snuff is also mentioned.

Were the cards at that time in the order we have them now? I.E. Popess =2.
Although I'm now tending toward the popess being a male, not a female.

Le Bateleur the Tobacco man. He's clearly holding a cigar in this deck.

Attachments

• lebate-flam.jpg
    lebate-flam.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 294

Rosanne

Well I am going off on a tangent here:

The very early pipes were called tabagos. The were Y shaped and used for inhaling. Kind of interesting to think of the Italian words for Card one-
Il Bagatino/Il Bagatto/Il Bagattel/Il Bagat/Il Bagotti/Il Bigatto- It is the French who used Le bateleur.

Here is a drawing of a tabago on a table.

~Rosanne

Attachments

• AcutfromPLace.jpg
    AcutfromPLace.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 215

thinbuddha

Very interesting theory. I don't know enough about this period of time to add anything more than to grunt and give props to a very passable theory.

I'm not sure that it would change the way that I use the card in readings to any great degree... To me, these tobacconists sound as if they were the snake oil salesmen of their time, which goes hand in hand with the trickster.

-tb

Rosanne

Hi Thinbuddha!
Your comments are important- because Tobacco was a luxury item- it was not a tricksters trade.

One weed site says this...
Ever since it arrived in Europe in the late 15th century, tobacco has divided opinion, sparked controversy and generated substantial revenue through tax. Not long after it reached Europe, it was being described in terms ranging from “vile custom of manifold abuses” and “feast for the fiend” to “the divine herb” and “cornucopia of all earthly pleasure”.

By 1570 King Philip II of Spain ponders tobacco's medicinal properties – not for the benefit of his subjects, but for commercial gain. He charges Royal Physician Francisco Hernandez with making a study of the plant's properties.

So I am not sure that the trickster element is there- it was first offered in the royal courts for exorbitant prices (much like the Pineapple later) There was this fascination with goods bought back by the explorers from the west.

So you see I wonder about this Card 1. In the game he is a low pointer though.

~Rosanne