Dame Fortune's Wheel - Five of Batons

sapienza

This card has the pale blue background in common with all cards in the Batons suit. At the top of the card are five crossed batons, in the same pattern one would find on a Marseille style card. The batons are surrounded by stars and a red diamond sits behind them. Below the batons we see ten Imperial crowns all slightly different but with jewels and gold.

Huson's keyword for this card is 'gold' and the crowns symbolise great wealth or luxury. Etteilla also listed abundance and good fortune as possible interpretations for this card.

What I do really like about this card, as with all the number cards of the Batons suit, is that the batons follow the same pattern as the Marseille cards. This card does have the 'feel' of success about it, it's bright and it does seem opulant and even glitzy. Whether wealth and luxury necessarily lead to happiness and joy is another matter. But I do like this card, it certainly feels very positive to me.

Bernice

Because the suit is Batons and I'm inclined to think of them as representing 'labour; working-force; everyday tasks; commonly enjoyed leasure activites, rather sporty ones', I'm wondering if this card might be 'wealth/luxury' that has been well-earned......or well-fought for!

Bee:)

Moonbow

Five Batons and ten crowns on this card.

Etteilla relates the Five of Batons to gold and opulence which is how the image is portrayed, but also by there being ten crowns it could be seen as splitting up wealth and storing it in several places. I quite like it seen this way as it fits well into how I usually see the number five, that being scattered or chaotic.

A nice touch having the five lobed leaves in the background too.

kalliope

I'm working my way through this deck, too.

As you all have mentioned, Paul references Etteilla's meanings, connecting this card to wealth, opulence, & luxury; success; brilliance, and moral/philosophical/physical sunlight. I like some of the above suggestions of wealth that was worked or fought for, or division of wealth!

As for reversals, to me they seem like exactly the sorts of troubles that crop up when wealth and riches are concerned: litigation, contestations, bickering, conflict. Think of unfortunate family disputes that break out over inheritance and the reading of someone's will. Money makes people crazy!

-kalliope

Flaxen

Reviving this post as I have been using this deck recently.

The arrangement of the crowns is reminiscent of the Tree of Life and makes me think it can also point to an inner wealth. A wealth of experience to draw on, a wealth of imagination or even a spiritual wealth rather than physical. It's interesting to compare this card with the seven of coins which represents money.

MR GREEN

Hi I have just recently got this deck,and it reads really easy for me.The five batons card tells me of wealth in different form's within one's life,as shown by the different style crowns.10 crowns on a 5 card? maybe it's double your money,through work???. Clive...

Thoughtful

So pleased to have found this thread as l have just ordered this deck.
Should be with me first week in December.
Am really interested in how you Mr Green get on with it, and also others who have this deck.
It looks so different l like the fact it appears like a TDM but has scenic pips, at least that was what l was able to see.

MR GREEN

Hi Thoughtful,yes it's a new deck for me to,I come from RWS. and TDM. background so this fits in real well.Up to now i have been doing 3card spreads for daily readings,and have found the deck works for me.I all so use a 6 card situation spread and that is proving to give good and usable infomation.An interesting thing is,coming mainly from RWS.background i used to read each card seperatly and then join them into a scentence for meaning,but now i use E.E.'s method and others,to read the cards as they look ie. regards, and what action is going on in the card.(It works for me).