Herbs for cold & flu season!

OOnaOwl

I just have to post about one of my favourite remedies for congestion & sore throat. You know, when you start to feel "off" and poorly, but are not genuinely sick? It feels like it could turn into a cold but hasn't yet... A bit of a sore throat, some nasal stuffiness, etc. A teaspoon of cayenne powder in a glass of water with another teaspoon of apple cider vinegar works almost immediately! One glass just set me right again! It is rough to get down but worth it for the benefits.
Plus both ACV and cayenne have numerous other health benefits probably posted elsewhere here on AT.

tarotlyn

:heart:OOnaOwl...that sounds like a winner...BUT...

Would it be easier to put the cayane in blank capsules...
...and bypass your tongue taste buds?:bugeyed:
...unless someone just likes "HOT!!!" ?:eek:

:):heart:Lyn

OOnaOwl said:
I just have to post about one of my favourite remedies for congestion & sore throat. You know, when you start to feel "off" and poorly, but are not genuinely sick? It feels like it could turn into a cold but hasn't yet... A bit of a sore throat, some nasal stuffiness, etc. A teaspoon of cayenne powder in a glass of water with another teaspoon of apple cider vinegar works almost immediately! One glass just set me right again! It is rough to get down but worth it for the benefits.
Plus both ACV and cayenne have numerous other health benefits probably posted elsewhere here on AT.

Ashtaroot

ouch I can feel it but thank you I will keep it in mind I am saving this thread so I can find it later :)

stefficus

lynn, you can take it in capsules, but it does... something to the pain receptors in the mucous membranes of the mouth and throat and sinuses. apparently. :D it's just more effective that way, like the cream they make with capsacin in ti for arthritis and what have you.

Dancing Bear

This works for sore teeth as well as sore throats..
We have always slowly chewed on a couple of whole cloves..

Eyes Wide Open

Wild Oregano w/garlic/onion is very good too. It comes in capsules. Just make sure it's wild oregano and not just oregano oil. It's also good to kill out yeast issues.

Ascot

I don't really know too much about using herbs or remedies, but I know that turmeric and ginger are very helpful against bacterial infections, for one.

Here is a link to a [url="]"turmeric-ginger drink"[/url].

It's made with milk, but if you avoid dairy products, I have made it with soy milk and it is just fine. In fact, it is so mild that you only barely taste the turmeric/ginger. I would recommend pouring the liquid through a sieve into another mug though, even though this recipe's author doesn't do that.

And I second the oregano oil! That stuff is brutal. It kills everything.

Sulis

Echinacea - I use it in tincture form if anyone I know has a cold. I swear by it, it's wonderful stuff; boots the immune system and helps with symptoms too and all you have to do is take a few drops in water a couple of times a day.

tarotlyn

Sulis said:
Echinacea - I use it in tincture form if anyone I know has a cold. I swear by it, it's wonderful stuff; boots the immune system and helps with symptoms too and all you have to do is take a few drops in water a couple of times a day.
:heart: Sulis, I have used "Echinacea tea" for boosting the immune system...

...now I am wondering "how many cups" of Echinacea tea you would
have to drink to equal your suggested tincture drops for one day?
(since I don't have the drops on hand...will have to get those :thumbsup: )

Looking forward to your answers.:heart:

Big hug!
:):heart:Lyn