The Book of the Law Study Group 2.12

Grigori

I think Aeon addressed a lot of this in a previous line, but I've got some questions that have occurred to me because of this line.

The idea of "me in thee" reminds me of Crowley coming to see Aiwass as his personal HGA. I wonder when this realization happened though? Was it while in China when he completed the Abramelin operation, or before this? Or something else...?

Aeon418

similia said:
The idea of "me in thee" reminds me of Crowley coming to see Aiwass as his personal HGA. I wonder when this realization happened though? Was it while in China when he completed the Abramelin operation, or before this? Or something else...?
Crowley didn't "consciously" identify Aiwass as his HGA for a long time. At a guess I would say some where around 1920. Maybe not even until the Abbey of Thelema period at Cefalu. But this quote from chapter 65 of the Confessions (dictated at Cefalu), where Crowley is talking about writing the mystical poem "AHA" in 1909, is very revealing.
It was given me during these days to experience fully once more every incident in my initiation, so that I might describe them while still white-hot with their wonder. It is this that assures me that this poem is unique of its kind. Its only rival is the Bhagavad-Gita, which, despite its prolixity, confines its ardour to Vishvarupa-darshana. Apart from this, it treats of Hindu dogma and ethics. At its best, it is a sectarian work. "Aha!" covers all religious experience, asserts no axioms, advocates no cut-and-dried codes. In some eleven hundred lines I have described all the principal trances, from the three types of Dhyana (Sun, Moon, Agni) and the four elements (for instance, the Disc "like a black boundless diamond whirring with millions of wings"), to the spiritual beings that inhabit the invisible universe, and the Samadhic Trances, Atmadarshana and Shivadarshana.

I have also described the moral and intellectual phenomena of initiation and indicated the main principles on which the aspirant should base his working. The Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel comes as the climax to these triumphs. It is significant that I proceed from this point instantly to declare the Law of Thelema, and give a dithyrambic epitome of the three chapters of the Book. I say distinctly that this message to mankind is to be identified with the Word of my Holy Guardian Angel. It is only as I write this that I realize that the poet in me perceived that Aiwaz and mine Angel were one. Till this moment I believed that I had reached this conclusion after many months of meditation in the last three years and accepted it provisionally with the greatest hesitation.

This psychological paradox, by the way, is very frequent. Again and again I have made important discoveries with tedious toil only to remember, in the hour of triumph, that I had written them down years earlier. It seems that I do not know what I am writing, or even understand what I have written.

The poem ends with "Blessing and worship to the Beast, the prophet of the Lovely Star". Henceforth I must be no more an aspirant, no more an adept, no more aught that I could think of as myself. I was the chosen prophet of the Masters, the instrument fit to interpret their idea and work their will. I cannot say whether I realized this identification of myself with the messenger of the Masters, this resolution of my complex equation into a simple expression, in which the x of my individuality was eliminated, made it possible for the Secret Chiefs to initiate me fully as a Master of the Temple, three years since my prudent refusal to accept it.

Aeon418

Did I kill this one as well? :laugh:

thorhammer

I think you just said it all :D I'd love to contribute, but I'm reduced to lurking nowadays. I've got nothing to add to this arcane conversation . . . all I can do is hope that it might make sense to me in a few years :(

\m/ Kat

Aeon418

thorhammer said:
all I can do is hope that it might make sense to me in a few years
Actually, that's exactly the point I was "trying" to make regarding A.C., and his recognition of Aiwass as his HGA. :) At a subconscious level he knew Aiwass was his HGA right from the start. But it took a while for this to become a conscious certainty, even though he already suspected it. (Certainty, not faith.)

This is actually a really good example of why the magical diary is important. Just like A.C. noticed, we frequently do and say things that don't have any great significance to us at the time. But it is only with the lapse of time and a good dose of hindsight that you begin to realise that you have been explaining your-Self to yourself all along. But it can take a long time for the penny to finally drop.