6 swords reversed declaration ????

ruchikari

In the key to tarot the meaning of six of swords reversed is declaration, confession, publicity , proclamation of love .... eventhough it came true in a reading of mine recently however for me the pictures have never meant so .
any thoughts ?

gregory

Look at the picture on the card and see what alternatives present themselves. The meanings given in books are NOT the only meanings there are. On the whole, you are much better going with your gut. If all you needed was to look up meanings in books, anyone could read the cards without any experience or practice.

HoneyBea

As far as Waite's reversed meanings, they seem to all be connected to communication and again swords is about communication. So perhaps when we look at that woman and child sitting in the boat in the upright they do look self contained — so I can see his reversed meaning of declaration, confession , etc., fitting in — but proposal of love I must confess defeats me.

ruchikari

HoneyBea said:
As far as Waite's reversed meanings, they seem to all be connected to communication and again swords is about communication. So perhaps when we look at that woman and child sitting in the boat in the upright they do look self contained — so I can see his reversed meaning of declaration, confession , etc., fitting in — but proposal of love I must confess defeats me.

Thanks honeybee my thoughts exactly ..after lot of pondering it hit me that lady is turning her back on the situation ..going over to a calmer place rather than CONFRONTING it ..swords is obviously thoughts ...
Maybe in a relationship reading it means confronting your feelings and expressing it is a fallout.

HoneyBea

ruchikari said:
Thanks honeybee my thoughts exactly ..after lot of pondering it hit me that lady is turning her back on the situation ..going over to a calmer place rather than CONFRONTING it ..swords is obviously thoughts ...
Maybe in a relationship reading it means confronting your feelings and expressing it is a fallout.

Swords in the RW are an Air element so the relate to clarity, mental activity, communication etc.

What the card means would depend on the question, whether you actually had a positional definition and what others cards surrounded it.

Reversed this card can indicate that one is unable to move out of their situation or related to thought and thinking patterns it could be saying that there is a refusal to change one's thinking.

There are numerous possible meanings to this card, if you understand its basic upright meaning then you can go from there. Remember that reversed does not necessarily have to mean the opposite or negative it could mean a delay or blockage, it could mean a total change in direction.

I personally found and do still find books to be a great way of gathering information from those who have a good background in tarot.

By gaining a good understanding of the cards basic meaning, you can then start to breakdown the symbolism in the image and also allow your intuition to expand on those meanings.

:)