Black Moon Lilith

Cactus

Is the Black Moon Lilith important in charts? Are there times when BML is significant?

The reason I ask is because someone pointed out to me that I have my Black Moon Lilith (in Taurus in the 12th house) conjunct my Sun (in Gemini in 12th) and conjunct Venus (in Taurus in 12th), sextile my Moon in Pisces as well as other aspects to all the planets.

She said it was very strong and has influence in my chart. I've attached my chart. There is very little information on the internet and I love reading all of these posts and learning. As such, I'd love to get your opinion. :heart:

Attachments

• KathyGags1.gif
    KathyGags1.gif
    75.1 KB · Views: 301

Briar Rose

What is Black Moon Lilith?

dadsnook2000

Lilith, the "Moon" that isn't there

Lilith is not a moon, not a black moon, not any physical entity. Lilith is a point in space, the second of two foci points of the Moon's orbital path. This point moves quite slowly, taking a bit less than 9 yeas to return to a given starting position. If one considers this point in space to be significant then, perhaps, one might want to consider all of the focii points of all of the planets and asteroids as significant.

It might be that Lilith has significance in certain types of astrological practice but may not be of consequence in many common forms of practice. I wouldn't know what to tell you about how to use this component in your practice of astrology. I don't know anyone who uses this point, in fact. It mostly seems to be of interest to those who have recently taken up astrology --- as such, it may be more confusing to use and more beneficial to ignore it. Dave

Cactus

dadsnook2000 said:
I don't know anyone who uses this point, in fact. It mostly seems to be of interest to those who have recently taken up astrology --- as such, it may be more confusing to use and more beneficial to ignore it. Dave

Yes, and that's what I suspected! :)

I'm just learning to interpret my own chart and those of my family members. And I did just fine without the Lilith information being tossed my way...so I agree that it makes things more confusing, especially to a beginner.

Briar Rose

Very interesting. Thank you.

Minderwiz

I totally agree with Dave's comments. Sometimes this point is referred to as the Dark Moon, as well as Black Moon or Lilith (not to be confused with an asteroid of the same name). It is calculated from the perigee of the Moon's orbit around the ecliptic - the point where it is closest to Earth.

As far as I'm aware BML originated from the English Astrologer, Sepharial (Walter Old), who was a theosophist. It was never widely adopted but it got something of a minor boost when it was identified with Carl Jung's 'anima' concept. So a small number of Jungian oriented Astrologers will use it.

Personally I don't use it and never have. I'm not agaist the use of points, per se but as Dave intimates, it's very easy to end up creating a multitude of points which obscure and overwhelm any chance of analysis. The best advice is to keep 'points' to the minimum and only add to your list if you are absolutely convinced that it is significant for you. Even then it's significance will ALWAYS be less than that of the planets, stars and the Ascendant and MC points (both of which can actually be 'seen' by following the rising and culmination of planets or stars.

The only points that I use apart from ASC and MC are an occasional use of some Arabian Parts (Greek Lots), such as Fortune and Spirit.

However if you really do want to learn more about BML the following link might help

http://www.aquamoonlight.co.uk/lilith-dark-moon.html

However please treat this point with a lot of suspicion and care.