The number thirteen...

Vita-morte

I assume this belongs here. In numerology can anyone give me any history or meaning behind the number thirteen: why it is considered unlucky, ect. And also, what number would you think is the one to counteract thirteen. I know that sounds silly, but I'm trying to write something that this would be useful for.

Umbrae

On Friday, October 13, 1307 – on order of Pope Clement V, Jacques de Molay (Grand Master of the Knights Templar), was arrested.

The order was more than likely coerced by Philip IV.

The order mandated the immediate arrest and torture for confessions of heresy All of the Knights of Templar on that morning...thus, it ended the order - on pain of death.

Such was the beginning of the history of Friday the 13th…now as to the number itself, the Norse/Teutonic peoples considered that 13 was a number of great magic and power. It was not for the unwise or weak; for the uninitiated who could not handle the power – it was unlucky.

zorya

there are 13 moons in a year, which makes the number 13 very powerful and magical.

zorya

... and many christians would say that 13 is unlucky, because the 13th person to sit down at the table with jesus, at the last supper, was the one to betray him.

HudsonGray

Yes, I've always heard it was the diciples at the last supper as the main '13' connection--Judas being the 'unlucky' part.

We also get the "Judas Goat" from that time frame, & "Doubting Thomas" too.

Pollux

12 are the cathegories in the Angelic hierarchy, and God among them is the 13th. 12 the tribes and the apostoles... who's missing? ;)

Royal Cat

Generally, in the most common types of numerology, anything higher then 9 is reduced to a single digit number. Therefore 13 = 1 + 3 = 4. In the form of numerology that I am most familiar with the only numbers not reduced are 11 and 22.

However, I have sometimes heard 13 referred to as one of the "biblical numbers" - for reasons described above by others.
The thirteen lunar months also make 13 representative of the moon and moon qualities as well as regeneration.

In forms of numerology where 13 is used (and not reduced) it is supposed to represent a challange to face up to a problem you have and to overcome the problem.

Hope that helps,
Cat

Gerbear

The Maya considered 13 to be very lucky. Others ancient peoples also considered 13 to be special. Since Christianity, the last supper, etc...13 has taken on more sinister implications. A coven of witches supposedly consists of twelve members and once assembled, the devil was to be number 13. Mathematically, 13 is part of the structure of the whole system of prime numbers. It and its square(169) are perfect squares! Here in the United States 13 is tied in with the country's history. For instance, on the Great Seal of the U.S., the eagle is clutching 13 arrows and an olive branch with 13 leaves and 13 olives.

Vita-morte

Thanks y'all that really helps a lot!