Info needed about this Eteilla I deck

photokat

I did find a photo of a 1930's version of this deck, but it has blue swirls and rounded corners - my deck has squares corners.

Attachments

• 552op0.jpg
    552op0.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 507

coredil

Not really much informations there but you can have a look to the post 28 of this thread:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=111249&page=3&pp=10&highlight=etteilla

You can find some pics of several Etteilla decks and also from the backs.
I have both versions but I could not tell you what back is older.
Some Marteau Grimaud TDM have these backs too (see deck 01, 16, 18 and 20 in the Marteau-Grimaud thread)
This can lead to the conclusion that these backs have been used between 1930 and some years after 1949.
No idea if they have been used before
I also have a Lenormand deck with the whirled back.

Best regards

photokat

Do yours have boxes? The Eteilla decks?

Floss

photokat said:
I am trying to figure out how old this Eteilla deck is that I have.
The own a '69 Grimaud Eteilla but the backs are different from this one.

any ideas?

http://www.photokat.com/offline/tarot/eteilla.jpg

I've got one exactly the same as this, card pics identical and have square corners but the backs are slightly different - blue square very fine chequerboard pattern. Box is a bit banged up - no LWB and no idea how old it is either.

jcwirish

I have no answers for you, but wanted to chime in and say that is a lovely deck.

photokat

Floss said:
I've got one exactly the same as this, card pics identical and have square corners but the backs are slightly different - blue square very fine chequerboard pattern. Box is a bit banged up - no LWB and no idea how old it is either.

What does your box say?

Floss

Front:
Grand Etteilla OU Tarots Egyptiens

(Then pic of Judgement card)

Egyptian Gypsies Tarot

Both sides:
Grand Etteilla
78 cards with an instruction booklet

Top Flap:
B.P. Grimaud

Back:
Grand Etteilla Egyptian Gypsies Tarot (then description paragraph) and same in French above.

Floss

This is the description of mine from the Ebay seller -

Grand Etteilla Egyptian Gypsies Tarot, 78 cards . Published by Grimaud in 1977. This deck was created by Etteilla. According to the descriptions on the side of the box - this is considered one of the best interpretations of occult science and symbolism. 78 cards complete, the cards are in used condition, the box is okay. Box is written in French and English.