Tarot and the Magus- ordering probs

fyreflye

I ordered an extra copy from Aeon a couple of months ago and was told they would send me one when it was reprinted. They even sent a confirmation of my order by snail mail. They haven't charged my card yet so I'm not sweating it.

thorhammer

jujustar said:
yeah, thanks kat!

i havent had a chance to read mine either, cos i left for a trip as soon as it arrived pretty much...what do you think of it????
Hmm, I've only gotten a couple of chapters in (before I was hijacked by other stuff) but it was good - very thoughtful and I love that it takes a "different" approach from the usual card-by-card format. I like his writing style. I might take it with me on the plane to the US soon, that will entertain me and it's only little so I should be good.

Good to hear that it's being reprinted. It deserves to be.

\m/ Kat

Grigori

I finished reading the book last night. Good and bad things. The detail and approach to the Opening of theKkey spread was really excellent and made it quite easy to follow along and work through yourself. He spends the majority of the book showing different methods and results from analyzing the same string of cards, which is quite illustrative. It is a quite hands on, "go do it yourself now" kind of a book.

There were a lot of spots in the book I got lost though, where some fact was thrown in but it wasn't clear (to me at least) how that was connected to the topic at hand, or what the implication of the piece of information was. I've had the same beef with the author's website at times also, so I think perhaps his writing style just doesn't gel with me. There were also some references that I really didn't agree with his interpretation of, or facts that don't align with what I've learnt elsewhere, though it is intended to be his personal ideas and not anything different so that's not really a fair complaint perhaps.

His own ideas are interesting, though not something I think can comment on or participate in at this stage. I rarely see hoards of demons popping up to say hello during a reading and am not working on creating that, but interesting to think about at least.

I think for anyone who wants to know more about the Opening of the Key spread, its a really useful book and there are bonuses beyond that which some folks may be interested in also.

Aeon418

Grigori said:
There were also some references that I really didn't agree with his interpretation of, or facts that don't align with what I've learnt elsewhere, though it is intended to be his personal ideas and not anything different so that's not really a fair complaint perhaps.
I wouldn't be surprised if the commentary to Liber 66 "found you" at just the right moment and highlighted a few of Paul Hughes-Barlow's misinterpretations. ;)

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the commentary to Liber 66 "found you" at just the right moment and highlighted a few of Paul Hughes-Barlow's misinterpretations. ;)

Funny story about that actually. About 10 minutes after I received the commentary to Liber 66 I left to drive to a day's teaching. I decided to skip using my GPS which I've use do get there previous times, and see if I could find my way by myself. This is not a hard thing to do, as its a highway all the way, just need to focus on what I am doing rather than daydreaming, and look out for the exit to Southport. Turns out it's exit 66....

*ooohhhh*

Aeon418

Well that puts a novel spin on "getting off" at exit 66. :laugh:

Professor X

I would be interested in getting that book to learn about his method of finding uncounted cards and using them to invoke spirits.

Grigori

I've been following some of the author's other work, and it seems to me that he has a decided aversion to the OTO, GD, AA, etc. as well as many of their notable players.

I'm not sure if this is a motivational factor for his dislike of the orders, or perhaps a consequence of it, but he teaches a number of myths about the history of of the deck and the associated orders which seem absurd to me. Hard to tell if they are misunderstandings or something more deliberate.

So, um... anyone know the gossip? :D

thorhammer

Grigori said:
. . . he teaches a number of myths about the history of of the deck and the associated orders which seem absurd to me. Hard to tell if they are misunderstandings or something more deliberate.
Like what? I'm curious now :)

Still haven't finished the book . . . :|

\m/ Kat

Grigori

thorhammer said:
Like what? I'm curious now :)

Still haven't finished the book . . . :|

\m/ Kat

A few oddities. He seems to think here is some grand conspiracy to hide the true secrets of the Thoth deck. There is a quite amusing clip on YouTube where he compares the thickness of the OTO's edition of Liber ABA to Duquette's book on the Thoth, as evidence that the OTO are hiding secrets by not making their books fatter (with no apparent understanding that Duquette's book is not an OTO commentary, or the role of a "beginners" book.) He alleges that the OTO are trying to prevent people reading the Book of Thoth, so they won't loose all their secrets (amusing since the OTO does publish that book and it's often argued that it's their best recruitment tool).

He has the same conspiracy theories on GD decks, he's identified that the reason all GD decks are dull is that they are trying to hide the secrets (secrets which he then says are freely available online, oddly enough on the websites of the same people who are trying to hide the secrets in their decks it seems).

He has an interesting take on the history of the GD, OTO and AA, which might be more compelling if he got the name right for at least two of those orders... Hmmm I'm getting beligerant and intolerant now I know, but it grates my carrot.

I think I would update my review to say the book is very useful to learn a specific reading technique, though there are some holes in the way the material is presented. But it should be read as the interesting understanding of one person, and not useful for gaining an understanding of facts or history.