astrology focused decks. tarot and oracles

HOLMES

i know there is the karma cards,
and the oracle of the radiant sun.
mythic astrology by liz greene.
what other kinds are there.

i am specifically looking for a deck to teach astrology much like the tarot of the seprioth is focused on kabbalah.

what else is there ?

SherryZoned

The Moon oracle I believe is one.

Moongold

Dear Holmes,

The Sephiroth has astrological attributions right throughout. I think you would not find the Mythic Astrology substantial enough for you.

May I ask if the learning is for you? If it is, you already have a huge amount of knowledge through the tarot and Qabalah ( I never know how to spell that word).

You might be better off getting a simple introductory book on astrology, Minderwiz would be a good guy to ask about this.

There are some good books linking astrology to Qabalah. On eof them is by Irene Gadd, Tarot and Individuation.

It would be worth visiting Kevin Burk's web page (just Google Kevin Burk) because he has some fantastic introductory and advanced stuff and is a tarot person too.

Moongold

Astraea

Holmes, Moongold makes a good point. If you wish to learn more about astrology, it would be a far easier and more direct route to read some good books on the subject, and perhaps take classes.

That said -- there are several decks which are astrologically-focused, and you have mentioned some of them. Others include Judy Hall's Zodiac Pack, and A. T. Mann's Mandala Astrological Tarot.

Minderwiz

I agree about the good book - whilst it is possible to make correspondences with Tarot, Qabalah or other systems the analogies break down eventually.

Kevin Burk is an extremely good source and his Astrology, A Comprehensive Guide To Classical Interpretation is a good read, Alan Oken, aand Stephen Aroyo also do good introductory books and the March and McIvers series is also a good read.

I have the A. T. Mann Mandala Astrological Tarot, but whilst I like some of his Tarot writing and some of his Astrological writing I must admit that I never really took to this deck - Nevertheless it is well worth investigating because decks tend to be very personal in their appeal.

HOLMES

ah

i was wondering two things.

1. is the enchanted astrologer deck the same as the karma cards just under a new name for they both use the same,
12 planets, 12 signs, 12 house.
made by same people.. just that the second one mentions psyology on amazon however i recall some psycology i didn't understand at the time on the karma cards.

2. anyone here has linda goodman astrology cards and have an review about them ?or feedback ?
on amazon it says she came from a chaldean approach as well as astrology.

Cerulean

On astrology-focused decks

I would recommend the A.T. Mann deck and book...here's an interview with him.

http://www.universalquest.com/atm.htm

I was surprised he was still so vibrant...I have a teacher of art history giving highlights from a Jungian perspective of tracing 'sacred' symbolism such as the occurance of Pythagorean triangles, four cardinal directions and elements, etc., showing by the time of Stonehenge to Egyptian pyramids how evolved the astrologers were.

She quotes from his sacred architecture book quite a bit and draws diagrams, etc.

After we finish the class, I promised myself I would devote time to seeing what his tarot and book said about using mandalas to access tarot symbology.

I am sorting through a lot of information so it would be difficult to absorb it right now, but I am impressed how she refers to A.T. Mann.

Oracle of the Radiant Sun gives decanates in the old fashioned way, but it works.

Karma Cards from Monty Farber and Linda Grant's Astrology Cards are feel good, quick nibbles. They aren't deep to me. I even have the supposed Grand LeNormand "Astro-Tarot" and it is simply a Victorian or 1920's nostalgic diagrammed, period fortune-telling deck
from Grimaud.

A historical, but NOT recommended Astro Tarot book by Georges Muchary will show cards that seem deep and symbolic, but they are period interpretations of the decanates and the poor soul supposedly born in an unfortunate aspect will sometimes be given a personality assignment that feels stupid to me today. One example is an early 20th century period definition of deviancy that I think should truly be regarded as unacceptable and ignorant. That is my opinion, though...

Mari H.