Golden Botticelli

nisaba

AArgh!

<scatters handsful of hair everywhere>

Can someone offer me a URL that leads to an on-line scan of the offensively cutsie Devil card from this deck, please? I don't want a scan-to-go, I want something that can be referred to by other people wanting to research that card, independently of me. The scan here and at the TG have chosen to hide its true cuteness, fittingly. And when I did a search of Taroteca, usually my last port o'call, it wasn't there at all.

I'll need it soon, if at all.

zan_chan

You mean this one? Gosh-- he IS cute!

nisaba

<glumly> Yeah. Dreadful, isn't it.

(I'm starting to sound like Marvin the Paranoid Android!)

missy

How have I missed this deck?? !

The scans here literally leave me breathless.

My wallet is very thin these days, so I will have to add this to my wishlist for now. But it looks wonderful.

If I could wish for anything, I'd wish the cards were larger. As the scans indicate, there is so much detail in these cards!

Simply gorgeous. I am glad this thread was started. Now off in search of other threads about this deck!

karenquilter

It is a gorgeous deck, however, Botticelli used the same model over & over again, so many of the cards (queens, especially) have the same face.

I agree that the Devil seems a little too cute.
K

Rasa

I like that cutesie devil....... if the devil is really as clever as he's made out to be, deceiving everyone and whatnot, he wouldn't really look evil, would he?

I think he is just innocent-looking in this picture... tempting us... "come over here... I'll play the panflutes for you.. I have some back at my house, if you'll just come in for a minute!" and, "a pitchfork, you say? No.. this is... errr.... a large salad fork.. come over here, and I'll show you what it's for! Don't be afraid!" *innocent smirk*

He could represent masks of sugary-sweet fakeness, hiding sinister motives underneath the surface. Or, he could be the seductive quality of something that seems harmless, but is not.

This deck has been near the top of my wishlist for awhile now.. I don't have enough shiny decks!!! and this one has such interesting and beautiful imagery.
There's something in the facial expressions of everyone in this deck, that seems to me like more going on under the surface than they are showing.. like they all have secrets!
I hope they would share them in a reading.

One question, for those that have this deck:
does the foiling come off with time and shuffling, or is it on there pretty solidly? I am a rough riffle-shuffler; I'm pretty hard on my decks, and normally I like when they are well-worn, but it would be a shame if I rubbed all the shiny bits off of the cards with use.

missy

Good question, Rasa, about whether the foiling comes off. I'm curious, too! :)

I have a similar question about a review I read which says that the deck has so much gold leaf that it covers some of the beautiful artwork. Of course, the foil has to cover the artwork in places, but how do you guys feel about it? Is it about the right amount of gold foil?

missy

Another question I have for those who have the deck (or who are curious about scans) is how the pips read.

For example, here is the Five of Wands:

http://www.albideuter.de/html/golden_botticelli_26.html

Not your typical Five of Wands, so a bit hard to interpret. As usual though, LS gorgeous artwork! And if one knows the RWS meanings, I could just apply those.

This deck is nontraditional the more I look at it, and I am fine with that!

It is gorgeous. :party:

Does it have a good LWB with it? :)

Le Fanu

I have this deck but have hardly ever used it. I just know it is one of thoe "one day I'll wake up, pluck it off the shelf and wonder what I was waiting for" decks. It has happened time & time again, these decks which lie dormant on my shelves and suddenly are just so, so right. Missy, if you think the scans are beautiful, wait till you have it in your hand. The gold foil is beautiful and so lavish and doesn't come off as far as I can see.

I have the Klimt which is exactly the same application of gold and- no - it doesn't wear off. One thing I did notice is that the Klimt gold is geometric and intrinsically, more discreetly worked into the composition of the images. In the Botticelli it is shamelessly, brazenly decorative and florid. It serves no effect whatsoever except to look gorgeous. And I love it. Right amount of gold? What would the right amount of gold be? The more the better if you're going for a bling deck. Cover too much of the artwork? Nah...

One pet niggle is the Piéta with Mary & Jesus as the Death card. Overtly christian and not really my style for a Death card, but It doen't make me not want to use the deck. There are some stunning cards in there and many are not very recognisable for those used to the RWS but - hey - that's LoS for you! I like it. I love the forest scenes, the intricate gold backdrops. It really is glorious...

missy

Le Fanu said:
I have this deck but have hardly ever used it. I just know it is one of thoe "one day I'll wake up, pluck it off the shelf and wonder what I was waiting for" decks. It has happened time & time again, these decks which lie dormant on my shelves and suddenly are just so, so right. Missy, if you think the scans are beautiful, wait till you have it in your hand. The gold foil is beautiful and so lavish and doesn't come off as far as I can see.

I have the Klimt which is exactly the same application of gold and- no - it doesn't wear off. One thing I did notice is that the Klimt gold is geometric and intrinsically, more discreetly worked into the composition of the images. In the Botticelli it is shamelessly, brazenly decorative and florid. It serves no effect whatsoever except to look gorgeous. And I love it. Right amount of gold? What would the right amount of gold be? The more the better if you're going for a bling deck. Cover too much of the artwork? Nah...

One pet niggle is the Piéta with Mary & Jesus as the Death card. Overtly christian and not really my style for a Death card, but It doen't make me not want to use the deck. There are some stunning cards in there and many are not very recognisable for those used to the RWS but - hey - that's LoS for you! I like it. I love the forest scenes, the intricate gold backdrops. It really is glorious...

That is enough of a recommendation for me. :D

Onto the wishlist it goes! Meanwhile, I will drool at the scans. :D

Oh ... is it as blinged as the Golden Tarot of the Tsar?

Really am loving those scans!

Woops, thought of one last question. Does the background appear as that black-and-white/cream pattern, or is the black-and-white covered with gold?