DPO Feb rachelcat and BlueDragonfly

rachelcat

Ok! Here we are at last! Dear BlueDragonfly, you say you are new to oracles, and I haven't even glanced at my DPO for a few months, so (hopefully that means that) we're well matched! :)

Here is the spread:

So this month we are going to use 2 cards, but the idea is that we draw as much from those 2 cards as we can. Examine every square centimetre of the card, think about what those symbols, colours etc mean to you and how they relate to the reading.

Card 1 - The Light self is the top card of your shuffled stack. This reflects what is known, or what is growing in energy, the new shoots that are peering through the soil etc. This card will be a very close up examination of what you can 'see' both the good and the bad

Card 2 - The Shadow self is taken from the bottom card of your shuffled stack. This reflects the energies that are working beyond your awareness, like the energies of spring fiercely working underneath the soil. This is what isn't known, what is hidden. It could be a force that is working in harmony with the Light, or as an obstacle. Use your intuition to see what it reflects.
And also, as the plants are of seeing and healing, see if in that shadow card a way of healing and overcoming that obstacle.

If it's ok with you, I'd like a reading about how to heal my relationship with my husband.

Let me know if you have a question or topic, and then it's on to the cards!

BlueDragonfly

Hi rachelcat. I can't think of a particular question. Can you just do a general 'where I'm at right now' reading?

Is it cheating if I look in the book? There are many of the plants that I'm not all that familiar with and a couple that I never even heard of-I've never studied Druid lore.

Okay....I'm ready... :)

rachelcat

"Where are you now?" it is!

Using the book is fine with me. I just dug out my notes from last year, and I'll definitely be using them!

I'll work on your reading tomorrow. So we'll see how that works.

BlueDragonfly

Okay, this is kind of a long one.

Card #1-Light Self, what is known or what is growing in energy.
Celtic Bean / Ponair / vicia faba celtica This is one that I'm not familiar with.
What I see-a central bean plant in flower. Each flower has a black spot on it. The petals look delicate. The leaf patterns and shapes are different than the agricultural bean plants grown today, a distant cousin, perhaps. There is a basket of dark colored beans in the lower left-hand corner, behind it are green, gently rolling hills. a fence divides this area from a pasture where pigs are grazing. In the background a large farmhouse sits at the foot of a mountain's side. It has a thatched roof, and a couple sheds beside it. A fairly prosperous picture. The sky is clear with some wispy clouds.

I think this is the outer view, this image of your homestead and life. Security, stability, a 'late summer' cycle of growth(a few of the trees on the lower side of the mountain have begun to change color). You're not sure how much more you'll be able to 'harvest' at this point.

From the companion book: Keywords-Fertility, Reincarnation, Nourishment.
"Choosing this card may indicate that something which you thought was dead has come back into your life in a new form." That sentence jumped out at me when I read through the meaning. There may be changes in your relationship, in your husband that you haven't seen-or haven't seen as positive. How much have you changed? Has he noticed?

Card #2-The Shadow Self, reflects the energies that are working beyond your awareness. This is what isn't known, what is hidden.
Burdock / Seircean suirich / Arctium sp.
What I see-Burdock grows from a crown of long heart-shaped leaves, the stalks of the flowers coming up in the center, a pair of flowers per stalk, The flower heads remind me of thistle with a purple/pink center. A dandelion grows next to it. There are puddles on the ground behind it and the trees in the background aren't in full leaf yet. The ground starts to slope gently upward on the left and there is a house in the background that looks like the farmhouse from Celtic Bean, but from the back yard. The sky is blue, but the clouds are considerably thicker here.

From the book: Keywords- Harvest, Purification, Attachment.
I was wrong about the season, this plant flowers between July and September, and it is a member of the thistle family.
"Upright meaning. If you have chosen this card, it may mean that enough is enough, and that you need to consider freeing yourself(from the attachment) of an influence or habit that is no longer serving you, and which has now become toxic." It goes on to mention treating this as a process of harvest, seperating the wheat from the chaff. That even the most negative experiences offer valuable learning.

I get the feeling that there has been a stormy period recently. One or both of you are looking at things from a point of view that no longer is valid in your relationship. I keep coming back to the clouds, which are more dense in the Burdock card, some obscured details or feelings, hidden on purpose or unseen due to the stormy situation. The fence in the Celtic Bean card may be the seperation of two very different points of view. Both plant descriptions mention a hollow stem, perhaps a lack of depth, a "hollow" feeling.

Have you considered counseling, or is some honest(nonjudgemental) discussion to help 'clear away the clouds' possible? Plants that grow from a crown close to the ground, both dandelion and burdock, spread out from their base in a cluster. You've got to go back to that crown/base to nourish/encourage growth in your relationshp. Celtic Bean is also mentioned as a staple food-source, a basic necessary protein-a core- of ancient diets, nurture that core.

Since this is my first attempt at reading for anyone other than myself, any feedback, or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

~BD~

rachelcat

For BlueDragonfly

(Most of this sounds like a study post. I hope you don’t mind. We ARE supposed to mine as much info as we can! But there’s a message in there for you somewhere, I promise!)

Light = Agrimony
Shadow = Comfrey

Reading overview = You are entering a time of fresh beginnings, but you have deep support under the surface.

Light = Agrimony. You are getting an idea that it is time for a fresh start. Agrimony is used against depression and as way of cleansing the body, the eyes, and aura. And as a magical and physical sleep aid.

It gets us ready for new growth and a clearer seeing of the future. When depression clears and when we get plenty of undisturbed sleep, everything seems fresh and new, and it seems like anything is possible. And it is!

The birch tree in the background has the same meaning. Birch is a pioneer tree. It is the first tree to reclaim a burned area and up the side of a mountain at the tree line, paving the way for larger, stronger trees. Its whiteness makes us think of purity and cleanliness. Criminals and naughty children were birched to cleanse them of their transgressions. All of these imply cleanliness and new starts.

The druid’s circle in the background is from the Bronze Age, the very beginning of northern European civilization.

The book says the card shows the Summer Solstice, but spring probably would be more appropriate . . .

You are at the beginning of something and may be a pioneer, ready to boldly go where you’ve never gone before! Make sure you’re rested in your body and your spirit and that you're detoxified and ready for newer, purer input.

Shadow = Comfrey. Comfrey is known as a healer of bone, skin, and the immune system. (So is the also pictured Solomon’s Seal.) So they are good for the surface and the foundation. Comfrey is also an excellent fertilizer, nourishing new growing plants in its death. Appropriately, it is autumn. Shown to cement (pun intended) the association of comfrey with bones are the bones of a hare. In death, the inner foundation of an animal usually associated with spring is revealed. Comfrey can also represent ancestral foundations because the foundation of our foundation—the genetic makeup of our bones—comes from our physical ancestors.

Ancestral support can mean good upbringing and education. Every parent wants to prepare a child to be strong enough to leave home and create a happy new life.

Across the stream is an alder tree. Amazing alder wood is waterproof and actually gets stronger when it is underwater, so it is often used as the foundations for docks and buildings. Alder obviously symbolizes a strong foundation under the surface.

Summing up, you are on the brink of something really new, for which you should prepare yourself. But be assured that you have enough support and strength under the surface to face and succeed in your new adventure.

Sounds exciting! Please let me know if this make sense to you. I’ll work on your feedback right now.

rachelcat

Here's your feedback!

BlueDragonfly said:
Card #1-Light Self, what is known or what is growing in energy.
Celtic Bean / Ponair / vicia faba celtica This is one that I'm not familiar with.
What I see-a central bean plant in flower. Each flower has a black spot on it. The petals look delicate. The leaf patterns and shapes are different than the agricultural bean plants grown today, a distant cousin, perhaps. There is a basket of dark colored beans in the lower left-hand corner, behind it are green, gently rolling hills. a fence divides this area from a pasture where pigs are grazing. In the background a large farmhouse sits at the foot of a mountain's side. It has a thatched roof, and a couple sheds beside it. A fairly prosperous picture. The sky is clear with some wispy clouds.

I think this is the outer view, this image of your homestead and life. Security, stability, a 'late summer' cycle of growth (a few of the trees on the lower side of the mountain have begun to change color). You're not sure how much more you'll be able to 'harvest' at this point.

From the companion book: Keywords-Fertility, Reincarnation, Nourishment.
"Choosing this card may indicate that something which you thought was dead has come back into your life in a new form." That sentence jumped out at me when I read through the meaning. There may be changes in your relationship, in your husband that you haven't seen-or haven't seen as positive. How much have you changed? Has he noticed?
Your intuition is really firing here! This hits two main issues regarding the relationship.

First, my husband and I both are very interested in our home and how it affects our relationship. He has been putting a lot of effort and money into improving our home and making it more comfortable for me and us. And I often think if something drastic happened in our relationship, what would we do about the house, and could I let our comfortable home go? Could he?

Second, we are ALWAYS trying to “start afresh.” When things get bad, we talk and fight and cry and then promise to start afresh. It has gotten really old, and I’m not really believing in it anymore. He says whenever I’m unhappy with things, he says I “go to zero,” meaning I’m ready to just quit. BUT I would be happy if it the new start really works this time.

BlueDragonfly said:
Card #2-The Shadow Self, reflects the energies that are working beyond your awareness. This is what isn't known, what is hidden.
Burdock / Seircean suirich / Arctium sp.
What I see-Burdock grows from a crown of long heart-shaped leaves, the stalks of the flowers coming up in the center, a pair of flowers per stalk, The flower heads remind me of thistle with a purple/pink center. A dandelion grows next to it. There are puddles on the ground behind it and the trees in the background aren't in full leaf yet. The ground starts to slope gently upward on the left and there is a house in the background that looks like the farmhouse from Celtic Bean, but from the back yard. The sky is blue, but the clouds are considerably thicker here.

From the book: Keywords- Harvest, Purification, Attachment.
I was wrong about the season, this plant flowers between July and September, and it is a member of the thistle family.
"Upright meaning. If you have chosen this card, it may mean that enough is enough, and that you need to consider freeing yourself (from the attachment) of an influence or habit that is no longer serving you, and which has now become toxic." It goes on to mention treating this as a process of harvest, separating the wheat from the chaff. That even the most negative experiences offer valuable learning.

I get the feeling that there has been a stormy period recently. One or both of you are looking at things from a point of view that no longer is valid in your relationship. I keep coming back to the clouds, which are more dense in the Burdock card, some obscured details or feelings, hidden on purpose or unseen due to the stormy situation. The fence in the Celtic Bean card may be the separation of two very different points of view. Both plant descriptions mention a hollow stem, perhaps a lack of depth, a "hollow" feeling.
Again, intuition is working for you. It definitely has been stormy lately. Maybe the attachment I need to let go of is the negative memory of the past. I mean, things seem so fine now, but is that enough? Or is that just hollow?

BlueDragonfly said:
Have you considered counseling, or is some honest (nonjudgemental) discussion to help 'clear away the clouds' possible? Plants that grow from a crown close to the ground, both dandelion and burdock, spread out from their base in a cluster. You've got to go back to that crown/base to nourish/encourage growth in your relationship. Celtic Bean is also mentioned as a staple food-source, a basic necessary protein-a core- of ancient diets, nurture that core.
Yes, what you said is close to what the counselor said—go back to the root of what you liked about each other in the beginning. We could get some new growth straight from the root and cut away the deadwood of the failed branches.

I like the advice of nurturing the core/base. It makes perfect sense!

BlueDragonfly said:
Since this is my first attempt at reading for anyone other than myself, any feedback, or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I think this was a very, very well done reading! You picked up on specific details of the relationship and offered sensible and sensitive advice. And have a good balance of picture reading, intuition, and book learning. AND it's definitely helpful. Thank you very much!

Well done!

BlueDragonfly

Oh, I'm all goosebumps right now. Like I said that's the first reading for another person I've ever done. Truthfully, I was so nervous when I started the reading, that I had to light a candle and just focus on the flame for a few minutes to calm myself before starting. I haven't learned to really trust my intuition yet, that'll come with practice, I know.

I'm glad the insights were helpful for you. :)

~BD~

BlueDragonfly

rachelcat said:
For BlueDragonfly

(Most of this sounds like a study post. I hope you don’t mind. We ARE supposed to mine as much info as we can! But there’s a message in there for you somewhere, I promise!)

Light = Agrimony
Shadow = Comfrey

Reading overview = You are entering a time of fresh beginnings, but you have deep support under the surface.

Light = Agrimony. You are getting an idea that it is time for a fresh start. Agrimony is used against depression and as way of cleansing the body, the eyes, and aura. And as a magical and physical sleep aid.

It gets us ready for new growth and a clearer seeing of the future. When depression clears and when we get plenty of undisturbed sleep, everything seems fresh and new, and it seems like anything is possible. And it is!

The last 3rd of winter is the hardest part for me, I'm tired of being cold(in Michigan) and broke-winter's tough financially, too. I share a house with my brother and he's not always great about footing his share of the bills. We both got our tax refunds this last week and he's actually coughed up enough to catch up the rent and utilities, lifting a huge burden from my mind. With finances more stable, I can do some of the things I need to do for myself. And while it's short and sweet(6-7 hours a night), I sleep very well.

The birch tree in the background has the same meaning. Birch is a pioneer tree. It is the first tree to reclaim a burned area and up the side of a mountain at the tree line, paving the way for larger, stronger trees. Its whiteness makes us think of purity and cleanliness. Criminals and naughty children were birched to cleanse them of their transgressions. All of these imply cleanliness and new starts.

I love birch trees. I've got a branch on my shrine shelf that I found on the lakeshore on the Winter Solstice of 2006. Just the fact that I could walk on the sand in December was unique in and of itself, but this branch just wouldn't let me walk past it, so it came home with me. And I am the first that I know of, in several generations, to pursue a pagan lifestyle.

The druid’s circle in the background is from the Bronze Age, the very beginning of northern European civilization.

The book says the card shows the Summer Solstice, but spring probably would be more appropriate . . .

You are at the beginning of something and may be a pioneer, ready to boldly go where you’ve never gone before! Make sure you’re rested in your body and your spirit and that you're detoxified and ready for newer, purer input.

I'm in the process of 'restarting/restyling' my spiritual practices, which have been fairly neglected lately except for holy days. I just couldn't find a place to 'fit in', so I'd decided to 'create' my own spirituality, living my spiritual life on a more daily basis(walking the talk). Deepening my tarot knowledge and using it for guidance has been/is an integral part of this process.

Shadow = Comfrey. Comfrey is known as a healer of bone, skin, and the immune system. (So is the also pictured Solomon’s Seal.) So they are good for the surface and the foundation. Comfrey is also an excellent fertilizer, nourishing new growing plants in its death. Appropriately, it is autumn. Shown to cement (pun intended) the association of comfrey with bones are the bones of a hare. In death, the inner foundation of an animal usually associated with spring is revealed. Comfrey can also represent ancestral foundations because the foundation of our foundation—the genetic makeup of our bones—comes from our physical ancestors.

Ancestral support can mean good upbringing and education. Every parent wants to prepare a child to be strong enough to leave home and create a happy new life.

Across the stream is an alder tree. Amazing alder wood is waterproof and actually gets stronger when it is underwater, so it is often used as the foundations for docks and buildings. Alder obviously symbolizes a strong foundation under the surface.

As short as it was, the influence of my parents in my life was strong/stable, and has formed my choices since I was first on my own at 18. That inner strength and sense of responsibility saw me through many tough years while I took care of my chronically ill husband, and keeps my head above water even now.
I recently discovered that I have Celtic ancestors on my mother's side and have taken an interest in learning more of the spiritual practices of the Druids and Celts.

Summing up, you are on the brink of something really new, for which you should prepare yourself. But be assured that you have enough support and strength under the surface to face and succeed in your new adventure.

Sounds exciting! Please let me know if this make sense to you. I’ll work on your feedback right now.

Oh yes, this reading is exactly right. While my studies and the changes I can now start will find me being rather solitary, I know that it's the right path for me to walk more confidently.

Thanks so much, rachelcat!

~BD~