Greenwood Tarot: Ace of Cups

Mi-Shell

Chesca Potter writes:
The Aces
major arcana: Ancestor Position on wheel: Imbolc. Chakra: crown.

Ace of Cups: Waters of Life
On a frosty morning pure blessed water overflows from a silver chalice in the shape of a white hart’s head, revitalizing the waters of life. Springs rise up from their source deep within the earth, giving pure water which is recycled from rain which fell thousands of years ago; i.e. one receives new inspiration from ancestral wisdom. Obviously a clean source of water is literally the water of life, and the basic need of all settlements. The ice of winter melts with a renewal of inspiration, and one is emotionally awakened. Sensuality returns. The swan is a symbol of the radiant soul, here ‘crowned’ by the morning star, Venus. A candle for the flame of the heart is held within the arc of the crescent moon.

Attachments

• ace of cups  AT.jpg
    ace of cups AT.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 137

Mi-Shell

Mark Ryan writes: The Waters of Life retain the ancient wisdom ready for reawakening.The moonlit pool of the universal soul retains all memory, ready to renew the inspired quest.

The way Chesca and Ryan see the Ace of cups, is how I usually see the it as well. But this one here feels different:
It all started when I was doing a reading for a lady some time ago and the darker side of the card floated up and proved to be exactly to the point of what was going on.

Somehow the disembodied head of the white hart reminded me of when body and soul are out of sync, of times, when a vital connection is fractured.
And this feeling gets emphasized by the black Swan. I am reminded of a “Trauer Schwan”, an animal associated with mourning and sadness.
Beautiful and majestic, but sad. To me when I see a black Swan in trance I know, the person is touched by depression.
It is my personal picture imagery - and it has its roots in Siberian lore an legends about White Swans = daughters of the sacred ‘Milk Lake Mother of plenty' and the Black Swan being the sad and suicidal one.... staying in the waters of Autumn that are freezing up and so being found dead, frozen into the ice by morning.
Depression is “black Swan mind” in Uryanchai.
And here on the card, the candle for the flame of the heart is in a fragile little Moon boat that is threatened to capsize in the flood of oncoming waters = feelings = seasonal?
It makes me think of someone who has everything one could wish for, everything the hearts of our modern society could desire. A good life and good prospects. And still. depression might just overwhelm their fragile little heart flame. The White hart is like the healer, trying to lick up this flow, but by interfering - licking up some of the flood, she may just change the way the spray falls and thereby extinguish the flame. - Like when an MD prescribes anti depressants and they work for a while and then all of a sudden the patient has enough drive and determination to end it all and extinguish his flickering flame of life......
So in a reading I will ask about moods, feelings and fears and that precious little light - and make sure it is save ‘till morning comes and the ice melts freeing the Swan......
Are you feathers black or white?