Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

Herzog 
Citizen

Nine of Cups

Satisfied. Content. Sometimes overly satisfied, and on the verge of complacency.

This how Ive come to view this card on its most basic level. Any thoughts?
Herzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
rwcarter 
student of tarot

For me a lot depends on the question and the additional imagery of the card. But your basic interpretations all work for me. I'd also suggest overindulgence. Some authors consider this the "wish" card, although I've never really gelled with that interpretation. In some decks, the person has that "cat that ate the canary/I know something you don't" look on his face.

The Tarot of the New Vision gives an idea about what might be behind the table, which I never wondered about until I came to Aeclectic and looked through the RWS forum.... That could also help to inform your interpretation of the card in a given situation.

Rodney

Old 27-02-2010 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
eyeDEEclaire 
Citizen

Sometimes I feel like this card is saying not to take things for granted. If you do get your wish, really appreciate it.
It also makes me think of how my dad is with sweets. When he indulges in candy and such, he woofs it down. He doesn't take time to savor it so it doesn't matter if it's Godiva or Hershey's. Instead of cups, he sits surrounded by wrappers.
eyeDEEclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
Herzog 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeDEEclaire
It also makes me think of how my dad is with sweets. When he indulges in candy and such, he woofs it down. He doesn't take time to savor it so it doesn't matter if it's Godiva or Hershey's. Instead of cups, he sits surrounded by wrappers.
Great analogy
Old 27-02-2010 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
Glass Owl 
Staring Into The Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeDEEclaire
Sometimes I feel like this card is saying not to take things for granted. If you do get your wish, really appreciate it.
If you ever have the chance, rent the movie "Still Breathing." One of the character in it (Fletcher) attempts to make a similar point using a chocolate analogy. If you want/love something, you should honor it and take the time to savior it.

In the movie Fletcher uses this "chocolate" story to basically tell her why he is trying to slow things down between them. Such a sweet movie.

Thanks for reminding me of that scene and how it so relates to the message of the 9 of Cups!
Glass Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
queenxofxwands 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcarter
For me a lot depends on the question and the additional imagery of the card. But your basic interpretations all work for me. I'd also suggest overindulgence. Some authors consider this the "wish" card, although I've never really gelled with that interpretation. In some decks, the person has that "cat that ate the canary/I know something you don't" look on his face.

The Tarot of the New Vision gives an idea about what might be behind the table, which I never wondered about until I came to Aeclectic and looked through the RWS forum.... That could also help to inform your interpretation of the card in a given situation.

Rodney
Thankyou for that picture,it has given me a whole new spin on this card, especially in the positions it has come up in for me lately. Thanks also to HerzogIsGod for asking this question
queenxofxwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
tarotguidance 
Resident

As already stated, the interpretations of a card can depend on it's position and the question being asked.

Most refer to this card as the wish card, but not sure where that term came from or why. In some decks, the image definitely refers to a wish.

In my opinion, this card is more of a fulfillment card. The nine's refer to reflections and here in the cups card, from the Rider Waite deck, you see a man that is happy with his acheivements thus far. He has reflected on his worth and value to the situation at hand and is pleased with his findings. It warns against accepting his accomplishments as a sign of completion, for he has not completed his goal entirely.

Old 01-03-2010 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
tigerlily 
Citizen

In job readings, this card has come to mean unemployment to me - "enforced holidays" also, it advises against trying to drown my frustration over yet another rejection with nine glasses of wine

Old 01-03-2010 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
Herzog 
Citizen

Naturally I pulled the Nine of Cups last night in my daily. I took it to mean, among other things, "taking something for granted."

Thanks, eyeDEEclaire
Old 01-03-2010 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
Amanda_04 
Citizen

I've had it refer to the inner self and also the ideal person to marry.
Amanda_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #10
Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade to subscriber today