Payen - the box

thinbuddha

For the people who have this deck, is there anything you would change about the box? I may tinker with the design for the second edition, and would like any feedback on anything that doesn't work for people.

Le Fanu

thinbuddha said:
For the people who have this deck, is there anything you would change about the box?
Nothing whatsoever. Everything about it is perfect. Seriously. It is resilient, attractive, functions well and those inner flaps fold perfectly to protect the deck. It is good to look at and protects the deck, which - for me - are the main thing. The only concern, I would have thought, is that it is probably rather labour intensive...

thinbuddha

Le Fanu said:
The only concern, I would have thought, is that it is probably rather labour intensive...

Well, there is that.

I was thinking about not including the pewter button, as it doesn't really serve any function (I originally intended it as a place to tie off the ribbon that would have wrapped around the box). and I was worried that the inner flaps might be too easy to tear. Other than that, it seems OK.

Thanks for the feedback.

Le Fanu

It could work quite well without the pewter button. I just thought of this as an added decorative flourish and a place for the band to stop. In terms of design, the box is perfect. Do you not know any bag-makers? Like what Kat Black did with the LE Touchstone? Someone who could sew nice drawstring (perhaps brocaded?) bags in keeping with the style of the deck? That would mean you could concentrate on the cards themselves. Title cards could explain the whole limited edition/ number etc.

I just remember from last time, it was the box - if I remember rightly - which was the most hassle.

conversus

I like the Box. It would be wrong to say that it is my favorite part of the whole package--the Cards are the Big Thing, here--but it is really a welcome part of the over-all event.

I replaced the elastic band with a length of black ribbon, much more period appropriate, so the button becomes essential. The inner flaps of my box is constructed to allow the cards to fall out if there is not a ribbon or elastic to prevent it. Perhaps the flaps could be redesigned, well, turned 180 degrees. . .

I don't think that a bag would do unless the cardstock were upgraded.

CED

thinbuddha

conversus said:
I replaced the elastic band with a length of black ribbon, much more period appropriate, so the button becomes essential.

And this was the original reason that I even put the button on the box.... But I never did find ribbon that I liked. Maybe I should go ribbon shopping again....

gregory

The original box was brilliant - but I would rather you were able to get the deck done than stress over it.

la-luna

My opinion as always been: what works for the artist works for me, and seeing what you did with the box, and how you published the Payen my friend you are an artist!

garmonbozia

I'm not able to post in the Advertisements forum, so I am responding to quotes here from this thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=107662&highlight=payen&page=11

Just FYI-
I will no longer be accepting orders. Frankly, it's all more trouble than it's worth. If there turns out to be a huge pent up demand, I might reconsider. I also may look into having it professionally printed, but I'm skeptical that I'll go this rout because I just don't see the demand.

I am considering the possibility of a mass printing. By that, I mean somewhere between 500 and 3000 copies ("mass" is a relative terrm). The idea would be to keep the same standards of printing, but with a less luxurous box (probably just a regular cardboard box).

Hi thinbuddha,

I know these posts are from 2009, but are you still considering a mass printing as a possibility? It pains me that I did not develop an interest in Tarot sooner and that I missed out on this deck. From what I can tell from images I have seen, the work you did looks amazing.

As far as I know there are no Payen decks in print anywhere in the world. I have been searching for months and cannot even find a copy of the very few decks that once were available. Even if I did, I would be surprised if I could find one at a price I could afford.

There could be more demand out there than you might think. It may just be a matter of people finding out that the deck exists. I imagine you could sell quite a few here and on eBay alone, or perhaps on website of your own?

A Payen deck is by far the deck I most wish I could have in the entire world, so I figured I might as well plead and beg for the possibility in the future. Just in case you wondering if there were still people out there who are interested, I wanted to let you know that there definitely are.

flying black kat

Payen - The Box

thinbuddha:

I love my copy of the Payen. I have 1 of the 1st you did. I should have bought another copy. (Imagine me bending over kicking myself.) When you had them on e-bay I did not have the money to get another one.

Because you are the artisit and the one who would designed the boxes the ultimate decision is yours. I actually like the button and the elestic around the box. It is part of the charm of this deck. It is a deck I do use. Not as often as some of the others but this one is 1 I prize.

If you choose to go the box route, may I suggest a box with a top that you take off and bottom. I put ribbons in all the bottom boxes with decks to make them easier to remove. I put one under and over the the deck or book. I slip the ribbon in first, which is cut a lot larger that I need and then put the deck or book in and fold the extra over the deck or book. Since I have been doing this I have not ruined (knock on wood) another deck. It sure is easier then turning everything upside down and playing 78 card pick up. I bought 3 or 4 spools one Christmas season. I chose the same patten for both color ribbons and the ribbons themselves are gold and silver.

Looking forward to another Payen.

Walk in Beauty and Be at Peace.

Kathy