Dark Grimoire Tarot - Five of Chalices

teomat

I felt compelled this morning to use this deck, and to pick up from where I left off with my study - the Five of Chalices. It is also an image that is deeply reflecting my current situation...

The RWS version shows a man mourning over 3 spilled cups, while two stand behind him. It's usually thought of as 'crying over spilled milk'. In this deck however, the imagery is much more poignant. The three figures suggest different emotions. The woman is distraught, the robed figure is composed and the third is waving goodbye. It suggests to me the three stages of grief that are experienced when something we value is gone.

The boat heading out to sea looks very small, but is heading towards a brighter horizon. The atmosphere, like in so many of these cards, is considerably melancholic. Who do we empathize with? He who is leaving or those left behind? There is a sense that the journey the person is undertaking is one born of necessity than of willingness. It is a personal journey - something that has to be done, in order to lead to something better.