Lo Scarabeo - Ace of Pentacles

ArcaneFugue

I need help deciphering my Ace of Pentacles

Hi all,
I have the Lo Scarabeo deck and my Ace of Pentacles has the Pentacle and around in it has Meia, Ophion, and To (the rest, if any, is covered by the thumb of the hand).

I figured out that Ophion is a serpent and all so a Titan in greek mythology.

Can anybody help me?
Thanks!

(*)_ArcaneFugue_(*)

rachelcat

On the Thoth at least, it's "To Mega Therion," "The Great Beast," or "The Master Therion" in Greek. It's Crowley's magical name.

(I don't know if there's significance if the difference between the Greek "g" on the Thoth and the straight line "I" on the LS.)

zephyr_heart

By the way, the petal-like pattern reflects the Marseilles style, I guess.

ArcaneFugue

Awesome guys!

Thanks for the help!

kittiann

This is such an interesting card to me: very RWS and yet it manages to have a fairy different meaning, at least to me.

As others have mentioned, Crowley's signature is engraved around the outside of the pentacle, a nod to the Thoth. And the flower pattern that occupies the next ring strongly resembles the Marseilles coin (at least in the Burdel deck that I have). Then there's the RWS elements. The hand reaches out of the clouds, though in this deck the pentacle floats above the hand rather then being supported by it. The five-pointed pentagram is engraved in the center of the pentacle. The background of the card is lush and full of life.

But here the similarities stop. The background in the RWS is a very orderly garden, with lilies planted in the foreground and a protective hedge flowering farther back. There is also a path which leads out in the direction of some mountains. But in the LS Ace, there is no orderly garden. The lilies remain, but instead of an orderly planting, they grow wild. There are roses flowering on the left side of the card. Rocky outcroppings also enter the scene, suggesting that this card takes place on a mountain like the ones seen in the background. A lone tree also grows here.

This card is the beginning of the pentacles, the first of the incarnations of the material world. And rather then being an orderly man-made thing, this card tells us that the spiritual in nature is found in the wild, rocky places where the wildflowers grow untended. The hand comes out of the clouds bearing material gifts, but it does so on the seclusion of the mountain. This card tells me that not everything in our lives needs to be ordered and arranged. If we step back and let ourselves enjoy the beauty in the natural world, often that's when the world will give us what we need to keep going on.