The large Thoth deck in the White Box - A different "energy"?

Cerulean

Color reaction is subjective

I compared both large versions at a new age store.

The very beautiful Knight (King) of Disks has a dark Shire horse with a glint in its eye as it faces the viewer. The glint is a brighter contrast in the newer gray-bordered edition from U.S. Games with the green box. I still see the massive horse, dark color ( Margaret Henry said they were bred for big loads in childhood horse books 3-). ).

The reeds among the horse's legs in the green version (white box) are a darker green, more shadowed, look like seaweed, not waving reeds. The gray bordered version has reeds that look brighter, lighter and waving around the horse's leg.

A subtle difference in the knight's turned away face is a slightly lighter shade, suggesting more detail and light areas in the gray-bordered deck.

Today, the greenish deck might be likened to the print run they might discard at the end as the colors blur...could be from old plates.

anya

this being the only deck I have I dont have much to compare it to but when I was researching and then purchesed this deck I held several in my hands the thoth deck being the last because it pulled me to them, I felt there energy start in my palms and go right to the very being of me.... im new to all this and was a bit taken aback by the feeling and put the cards down.... took a few breaths and picked them back up when the same thing happened I knew i needed these cards and they needed me... im still learning the meanings of the cards but I find myself just sitting and holding them in my hands going threw each card and studing the pictures........ I didnt get that energy of the other 5 decks I held in the shop

All Is One

Love It or Hate It

Clearly no one has an apathetic, 'pastel' reaction to this deck.

Not being much of a pastel person myself, as a scorpio, this deck works wonders for me.

I am looking for the swiss printed version because I want to see the colors more vividly. Who knows if I will click with those versions of the Thoth the way I did with this one?

VGimlet

I have the large white box greenish Thoth also. When I first got them, they seemed to have a wierd vibe to me, too. One of the only used decks (very gently used, this one) I actually did a clensing ritual to. Now the deck has been with me awhile, it's fine, and I don't get that feeling from it anymore. I would like to get the new US GAMES version someday, but I'm not in a hurry at the moment.

Oddly enough, I didn't have negative feelings about Crowley like a lot of people do/did. When I was kid (14? 15?) I found him very interesting, and read quite extensively about him. Not a nice person, but in some ways, quite a bit ahead of his time.

Emily

Hi VGimlet,

I do think its the colour - it's such a sickly green, it really does drown out any detail on the cards and they are also big. I would love to know why they published such a poorly coloured deck.

My smaller Thoths, the standard and the pocket versions, just don't have the same feel about them, the colours are brighter and the detail is obvious. I can honestly say I've never gagged as I've took them out of their boxes like I do everytime with the Green version Thoth lol

Rusty Neon

For clarity, as far as I know, there are 3 different current versions of a large size Thoth deck with English card titles and sold in English-speaking countries:

(1) the one in the U.S. Games white-coloured box - (possibly out of print, but still around sometimes). There is tinge here but different from the U.S. Games green box. Colour uniform isn't from card to card within the same deck. Cards images not very clear.

(2) the one with the green-tinged colours , in the U.S. Games green box. Images more clear than those in from the white-box deck. However, colour is uniform colour from card to card.

(3) the one with accurate colours, in the AG Mueller blue box.

And ... by the way, there's ALSO a long-out-of-print black and white Thoth deck whose cards might also be large sized. Relatively rare deck, I guess.

paradoxx

Its strange that this thread returned to the top, i had a dream that involved the name Crowley quite often. what was strange about teh dream though, is that the door behind me where i was sitting, would open and close on its own. As of recently, my dreams have ended with the passage through a door or a hallway, so ignoring the door moving on its own was something else.

To relate to the thread though, crowleys deck does not bother me, some of the interpretations are so-so but other than that the large us games deck i have works quite well. I do have the Encyclopedia of witchcraft which does have a picture of crowley in it, and that picture does give me an odd feeling. Makes you wonder what his general attitude was like.

The seaweed comment, that ironic since the knight of disks is capricorn and can be associated with seahorses. perhaps there are certain synchronisities that should not be ignored.

VGimlet

Originally posted by Emily <snipped>
I do think its the colour - it's such a sickly green, it really does drown out any detail on the cards and they are also big.
<snip>
I can honestly say I've never gagged as I've took them out of their boxes like I do everytime with the Green version Thoth lol

They really are a horrid green, too. :p And the green in the rest of the cards seems to pick up the green in the border. I have gotten used to it, though, although I've reconsidered - when I'm ready to start reading with this deck, I think I'll order a different version after all.

Originally posted by paradoxx <snipped>
I do have the Encyclopedia of witchcraft which does have a picture of crowley in it, and that picture does give me an odd feeling. Makes you wonder what his general attitude was like.

From what I remember (and those of you who have read about him lately will please correct me if I'm wrong) is that he was a brilliant, brilliant man. So supremely arrogant he felt he was above everyone, in every way. I think that comes across in his pictures. And also a drug addict -- although this has been debated.

Phoenyx*

He certainly has a way of writing that makes you feel like he knows everything. Not quite sure if that's a good thing though.

poivre

Thoth deck, greyish blue or I thought it was a shade of purple, this is why I bought the deck. Wanted to see what it was about. I feel the cards are bold but the box softens the deck. I'm not sure what I think of them, just that they are intimidating (don't know why) but I'm going to figure it out if I don't get lost with Crowley's thoughts in the meantime. Mabee that's what it is all about, "the thoughts that he leaves us with."