I never noticed that before.

Tarot Orat

Grigori said:
This is the official one, the others are drafts there were rejected. There are many versions of several of the cards, Harris would paint them and if Crowley didn't like her work she'd have to do it again. They are included as a little present from the publisher, not meant to be used though of course they can be if you want :)

You can see some of the other alternates here.

Thank you, especially for the image links! I had taken all three Magus cards out of the box to look at together, and then didn't remember which had been in sequence in the Major Arcana and which were just stuck in after the Minor Arcana. (It wasn't so much, "which of 3 should I use based on my instinct or what color they are" but, "which of 3 was the one after the Fool?") Yes, I was scatterbrained! So thanks for the helpful images.

The artwork by Lady Freida is so intricate and beautiful, I appreciate the link to the gallery, too. I think I may have to go back to the store and buy one of the big Thoth decks, so I can look at the cards in more detail. I just have the small deck and definitely don't see nearly as much on it as there is in her paintings!

brotherindolence

wow! amazing earlier versions!

thanks for the incredible link to those early versions of the cards!
I especially love how 'the fool' began life looking a dead ringer for Harpo Marx!
That would have been so perfect!
If I was ever to design a deck Harpo would definitely be my Fool!

Nevada

Tarot Orat said:
If I weren't trying to do right by the Thoth, I'd just pick the one I liked best...
That's what I did, with my first deck, and it turned out to be the same Magus found in the decks that have only one.

ravenest

Here's another one

Same friend found another thing in her newish Thoth deck;

"Whats this elemental symbol on the Fool?"

"Air."

"Air?"

"Yes, an upright triangle with a horizontal line inside through the bottom."

"This has an upright triangle with a smaller one inside that."

"Huh?" - I needed a magnifying glass, there it is. Again, I've never seen that before and it isnt on mine. - She keeps doing this to me!

Grigori

I can never quite see the details, it's just a tad too small/fine to be clear to me. In the yellow background, they look to me like two triangles joined together at the base, like a diamond with a horizontal line through the middle.

I did a search a while back to try and find alternate versions of the air triangle that may match, but didn't find anything useful.

thorhammer

Guessing, too lazy to get the book, but . . . Ritual of the Hexagram?

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

Grigori said:
Cripes, your right Kat and I'm an idiot. The air hexagram looks just like that. :thumbsup:
You're not an idiot!!! But this is the beauty of a worldwide forum - so many brains all working on the same problem!

\m/ Kat

Stormdancer

ravenest said:
Same friend found another thing in her newish Thoth deck;

"Whats this elemental symbol on the Fool?"

"Air."

"Air?"

"Yes, an upright triangle with a horizontal line inside through the bottom."

"This has an upright triangle with a smaller one inside that."

"Huh?" - I needed a magnifying glass, there it is. Again, I've never seen that before and it isnt on mine.
OH...and I thought she was talking about the triangle next to the title....right side
ravenest said:
- She keeps doing this to me!
COOL!! :D

ravenest

stormdancer339 said:
OH...and I thought she was talking about the triangle next to the title....right side
COOL!! :D

Thats the Triangle I am talking about. What one is Kat talking about.

The title with the sign (element, planet or zodiac) and the Hebrew down the bottom on the border. Its not an air hexagram - that would have made sense to me, although I have never seen that in this position on this card before either. It's def two upright triangles one inside the other. Her deck is the samller Thoth with the rainbox hexagram card.