Blake Tarot ~ II Mystery

Bat Chicken

Buryn's keywords: intuitive knowledge, archetypal sexuality, proud independence, lunar inspiration, spatial issues, compassion, assertive imagination

I think I have been avoiding the feminine cards in this deck. With the profusion of feminine cards in other decks I have studied it has been trip to ride through the structured power of an "Emperor's" deck. My soul card is the Emperor and he has been enjoying Blake. The feminine cards just seem to leave me flat and in learning about Blake's, although enlightened, but not always positive view of feminine power influenced by his times, his ideology and his acquaintance with Mary Wollstonecraft, I am left wanting to believe a less likely but more positive view of Blake's women.

Blake's women are 'emanations' of their male counterparts, their 'anima'. They seem to misunderstand their power and therefore not use it wisely. If we look at the holistic view, Blake is perhaps commenting on two things here - first that to be whole, we must embrace or reunite our masculine and feminine by experiencing both. He could also be commenting on women in his society and their powerlessness that was expressed through manipulation. Mary Wollstonecraft (mother of Mary Shelley author of Frankenstein) wrote commentary on the state of women in society. She was one of the early feminists and was contemporary with Blake, running in his circles. Blake illustrated her "Original Stories from Real Life". They shared ideas on traditional marriage and saw it as a kind of female slavery.

The painting in this card is actually cropped from the original called both "Hecate" and "The Night of Enitharmon's Joy". (see second attachment) Enitharmon is the consort of Los and the only 'emanation' to be mortal. She is material and she is "Eve', "…she is the Moon of love to Los' Sun"(Damon). Where Los is Time (Magic), Enitharmon is Space - the Body (Mystery).

Enitharmon is called both the Queen of Heaven and Earth Goddess. Her relationship to the Greek Goddess Hecate, the original name of the image is in her triple aspect, the 'triple female Taberancle' (genetalia) - perhaps an expression of Tharmas' gate in "Innocence". The connection to that card goes further with Hecate's association with the dog and her status as a 'liminal' Goddess at the limit between the earth and the Underworld.

From this link
The three figures represent the tripartite nature of the goddess who in Greek mythology combined in her person aspects of the moon, earth and underworld, with power over the sky, earth and sea; she was also associated with witchcraft, magic and the supernatural….
[…]
All the associations of Hecate are, as David Bindman suggests, "in Blakean terms, negative, implying the Female Will (Hecate herself), Mystery (the 'landscape' book), vegetative existence (the donkey), and the desires of divided humanity (the sinister creatures)" (Art 118).

In Hecate/Enitharmon, I see the shadow, the dark feminine, the Mystery. She looks toward the crocodile, the cat/bat is above her - more allusions to Egyptian symbolism - "…The Egyptian word for cat is mau, meaning to see, and both the moon and the cat were seers by night. As the moon reflects the light of the sun, so the cat was supposed to reflect the moon on account of its phosphorescent eyes. In the form of the goddess Bast the cat keeps watch for the sun, with her paw holding down and bruising the head of the serpent of darkness, the sun's eternal enemy." (http://www.wisdomworld.org/additional/ancientlandmarks/EgyptianSymbolsWorship.html)

More tomorrow... It's too late!

Attachments

• mystery.jpg
    mystery.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 89
  • hecate_large.jpg
    hecate_large.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 92

Bat Chicken

Picking up where I left off…

More associations for Hecate: http://hecatestreasures.com/hecate.htm
This power included producing or withhlding rain and storms and providing or witholding good luck for sailors by calming storms, for fishermen by increasing their catch and for huinters by increasing the herds. ….She had associations to growing and the harvest through her relationship to the phases of the moon and her suppression of storms.* She was the goddess of healing and magic.* And at the end of time she was the Queen of Night, Mistress of the Lower Way, Opener of the Way to Death.* As the queen of death she ruled the powers of regeneration as represented by her association with the serpent.
Perhaps the crocodile is not Sebek, but Apep, enemy of the Sun - a variation of Set and the evil serpent god that never sees the light.

This brings me to a point where I want to look at Christian symbolism and the similarity to the Marseilles Papesse. Enitharmon/Hecate is looking in the same direction as the Papesse. She looks to the left (her right), she has a book on her lap, Blake's sits before her. To go further into Christian symbolism, Jean-Michael David draws similarities between the Papesse and paintings of the Annunciation of Mary. Mary faces the same direction as our other characters and most often has a book. In the paintings, Archangel Gabriel is the messenger and she/he is associated with the moon, which happens to represent motherhood, intuition, prophecies, dreams and visions and the trinity in the Angel's symbol, the fleur-de-lis. All these women are virgins. A further connection to the Virgin Mary is that her Feast of Assumption is two days after Hecate's - August 15th.

Blake's intention with "Night of Enitharmon's Joy" was to criticize religion in its call for chastity. It would seem that Mystery is the secret departed from the soul into a book of landscapes as humans descend:
Now comes the night of Enitharmon's joy!
Who shall I call? Who shall I send,
That Woman, lovely Woman, may have dominion?
Arise, O Rintrah! thee I call, and Palamabron, thee!
Go! tell the Human race that Woman's love is Sin;
That an Eternal life awaits the worms of sixty winters,
In an allegorical abode, where existence hath never come.
Forbid all Joy; and, from her childhood, shall the little Female
Spread nets in every secret path….
[…]
Enitharmon slept
Eighteen hundred years. Man was a dream,
The night of Nature and their harps unstrung!
She slept in middle of her nightly song
Eighteen hundred years, a Female dream.

A complex card as one might expect! It certainly doesn't seem to carry the romantic associations I have traditionally related to the High Priestess. She is the source of power and magic but she is unable to use them for herself. She is passive and waits and dreams through a long night. She knows but cannot tell. This twists her a little and she calls on others to do her bidding - she herself does not create. On the flipside, she is Hecate, both revered by Zeus and reviled by the Christian. She is the essence of the experience of Woman. Hers is a strange an unnatural world.