Worst tarot advice received?

Kloeyy

I was told that as a kid. That all decks have to be gifted to you. You should never buy your own. Well, I kept getting gifted some strange decks, and I finally broke the insanity and bought one!!

GadgetGirl said:
Well my bad advice I received only 6 months ago from a friend who told me I should not under any circumstances buy my own Tarot Deck. Yeah right!

greatdane

GadgetGirl, OpenArms and Kloeyy

OK, who comes up with this drivel and where did they get it? I mean come on! HAVE to have a deck gifted, can only read from one deck (I do one card draws from two decks and it works really well), don't read for yourself (oh, that's one of my favorites since I'M the ONE I want to read for), I'm surprised there isn't one that you have to do the hokey pokey and turn yourself about before you can begin.

Thank you for sharing those and thank goodness it seems AT Folk aren't gullible when it comes to some of these myths that seem to have absolutely no base in reality or logic.

Kissa

like many of us here obviously, I skip the part in books related about how to store/cleanse/purify your cards.

"Never big on rituals", indeed. Plus the two grams left of rationality in my brains cannot figure out how the hell a mass-produced pack of cardboard sheets printed with chemicals (toxic?) inks can ever get "holy". Objects are objects, they have no soul, they are tools, some beautiful, some not, some more practical than others but holy? sacred? gimme a break...

If there are spirits out there, I really hope they have better things to do than worry about the color you wrap your cards in ;-)
Would you trust an angel who get confused if you draw cards from the wrong deck or cards that do smell the wrong incense???
But I am very skeptical about feys, faeries, angels in general... Invisible energy, yes. But fluffy whimsical (or not) beings floating around... nah.

LWB's also carry a loooot of weird info usually.

As for getting a bad advice from a reader, no. I only had a couple of readings done until now, from ATF readers. The readings were so professionally done, interactive and all: I was led to understood what was the best for me, I was guided, counseled but not given any advice that fell out of the blue. Actually probably the most efficient psychotherapy sessions I've had in my life when I think back :)

Le Fanu

It was never given specifically to me that I have to keep my cards in silk/ natural fabrics but that one always makes me titter; with all these toxic industrialised laminations suffocating mass-produced cards and people still have the illustion that somehow a litle bit of something "natural" has to be introduced to make the cards *work*.

I think all my decks are kept in natural fabrics simply because I prefer them. I prefer to wear natural fabrics too.

Oh and it isn't specifically tarot but has anyone seen that ceremony by Laura Tuan included with the French cartomancy deck? That's bad advice for anyone...

jackdaw*

Oh Lord, almost all of it.

The silk and wood, the never letting someone else touch your cards, the never buy one for yourself, the centring, grounding, cleansing, smudging ... all that old foolishness. I have been told it all at different points and I disregard it all.

gregory

The letter asking me if I would like to raise my Visa limit.

I realise this may not sound directly connected, but believe me.....

Le Fanu

gregory said:
:D :D :D Oh that just tops them all!

Libra8ca

gregory said:

Yes, this one is hard to top :D :D LOL

My worst tarot advice was to start learning with the standard RWS deck. I figured I first had to be able to read really well with this one before being able to touch any other deck. Once I started reading with other decks, my readings got so much better!!

Glitterbird

gregory said:

Not only is that bad advice, that's down right dangerous!:D

Milfoil

That tarot was evil and bad and that I would go to hell if I used it.

So here I am, looking forward to going to Hell (been there, done that) . . .

;)