Worst tarot advice received?

Open Arms

DevilishAngel said:
I don't remember where, but someone said that you shouldn't use your deck when you first get it until a year later after having slept with it under your pillow and carrying it around with you everywhere to make a deep connection with them, to really get to know your cards. :bugeyed: Well the few decks I have when I got them I didn't hesitate to open them up and try them out! That's how I get to know them ;) I would look pretty "easy" to that lady :laugh:

I once bought a box of 12 decks from ebay (a mix of oracles and tarot decks) and I can't imagine how I would go lugging them all around with me or how I would fit them under my pillow...

Carla

DevilishAngel said:
I don't remember where, but someone said that you shouldn't use your deck when you first get it until a year later after having slept with it under your pillow and carrying it around with you everywhere to make a deep connection with them, to really get to know your cards. :bugeyed: Well the few decks I have when I got them I didn't hesitate to open them up and try them out! That's how I get to know them ;) I would look pretty "easy" to that lady :laugh:

A year! I can't even manage to do a 78-day deck study. No way could I carry an unused deck around with me for a year. Plus, I'd feel completely stupid doing it! :) Besides that, how am I supposed to 'really get to know my cards' if I can't use them?

greatdane

Wow

OK, Chiriku, that wasn't just bad advice, that was a person with issues, not to mention lack of social skills. I know it's tough when someone catches you off guard like that, but if someone had given me a "reading" like that, I would have laughed...that's right, laughed...like they've just said the most absurd thing and surely they must be joking. Followed by a "You CRACK me up!". Then walked away. Actually works for lots of situations :)

SkadisPhoenix

Carla said:
A year! I can't even manage to do a 78-day deck study. No way could I carry an unused deck around with me for a year. Plus, I'd feel completely stupid doing it! :) Besides that, how am I supposed to 'really get to know my cards' if I can't use them?
That's nothing, I can't even manage a two day deck study! I'm terrible. I always jump in at the deep end so that I can learn as I go, always have been like that... :)

WinterRose

DevilishAngel said:

Oh, I've heard a similar one to that one before! And I do admit, I keep my decks close to my bed when I feel I need to re-connect with them, but that's just me.... :p And not for a YEAR, unused!!!

Lillie

Chiriku said:
"The cards say that you read tarot not because you have a gift (indeed, you are not psychic) but because it gives you a sense of validation in yourself and control over others. You are an insecure sort of person and this gives you an outlet where you can pretend otherwise. The cards tell me that your dabbling in tarot arose from a sense of novelty and dilettantism. The truth--which you don't tell your clients--is that you are not a serious reader and that, frankly, you are not very good at reading tarot. This Death card here symbolizes that you need to die to tarot and move on to other hobbies, as you are only harming others with your readings. The tarot advises you to seek elsewhere."

I wish AT had emoticons for me to express my utter befuddlement as he finished his "reading" and I sat staring at him. Not only was his demeanor super-bizarre, but everything he said was wayyyyyy out of left field (I didn't have "clients;" I was a fairly confident and well-adjusted person; I became interested in tarot in regards to its historical background and the history of divination; I never promoted myself as a psychic; and I didn't even use tarot for divination proper but to shed extra light on one's own behaviors and possible paths they might choose). I'll never forget the unblinking, agitated intensity--it was almost like hostility---that radiated from him. He was almost bristling with negativity towards me and to this day I have no idea why.

The few times people have pulled that sort of crap on me I have grabbed their hand, looked at their palm and tell them they are going to die lonely and alone.
Usually by their own hand.

Often at the end of a rope.

Fair's fair.

If they are trying to do my head in, I'll do theirs.

alice_addams

Oh Chiriku, what a lousy experience with a horribly insecure person! I don't need any cards to tell me he's full of bull. :p

My worst bits of advice have already been said here: Can't buy your own deck (well, then I still wouldn't have one...); can only have one, etc.
I also had misconceptions that were reinforced by some books I read, such as needing to memorize absolute interpretations for each card. It put me off reading for a while, as I struggled to cram my readings into a narrow box. On the flip side, I do think that never reading any books is also pretty bad advice. We need a foundation, you know?

Taamar

One of my friends is a witch who is deeply into the powers of Mystical Femininity. She told me that my deck would work better if I wrapped it in a cloth soaked in my menstrual blood and left it outside overnight when the moon was full. I always wondered how I was supposed to keep the cloth when I didn't cycle at the right time.

SkadisPhoenix

Taamar said:
One of my friends is a witch who is deeply into the powers of Mystical Femininity. She told me that my deck would work better if I wrapped it in a cloth soaked in my menstrual blood and left it outside overnight when the moon was full. I always wondered how I was supposed to keep the cloth when I didn't cycle at the right time.
That's kinda disturbing! :/

gregory

SkadisPhoenix said:
That's kinda disturbing! :/
Also kind of MESSY..... I'm not putting any deck of mine through that.

(Oh but wait - at 65 it wouldn't be easy anyway - even if I'd not had a hysterectomy at 40 :D)