Anyone up for a reversal group ?

bec

Hiya,

is there any on these boards who are interested in sharing food for thoughts on the reversals ?

I am thinking we could start out with something original like the RW and work through the cards.

I don't really have a whole table of content in me head, are open for suggestions.

So what you think ?

Kaz

i dont do reversals myself, but i can talk about it, cards read different evry time, so i read "reversed" sometimes.

HudsonGray

Ok, a 'clean' reversals discussion, eliminating all the 'I read/don't read reversals because'. That makes a lot of sense.

I compiled the different ways listed in the other thread (Reversals Or Not ???) that showed how people look at reversals--as a start to get this one up and running. I know there are other threads on the board that covered reversals, but I just used this one--others can add to it.

SO HERE IT IS! The main thinking so far on how a reversal is read in a spread. Help add to it people!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using reversal meanings strictly as given in the LWB or in the larger author's book for that deck. Or applying reversals as set out by books covering that subject such as The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals, by Mary Greer.

Using the upright meanings, but looking at the card as something that needs more attention or is important in the person's life.

Using them as a signpost to direct you back to the previous card to relearn the lesson there.

Seeing it as strictly a reversed meaning of the 'upright' meaning of the card.

Seeing it as a blockage.

Looking at which way the picture of the character on the card is 'facing' so as to go back or forward to the cards around that particular reversed card to give more attention there.

Seing a reversal as a card that shows that the work needs to be done INTERNALLY in a person.

Melissa`

I'm willing to study along with you, bec and others. I'll peek back in later to add more when I have time.

Blessings,
Amaya

bec

1) They have a 3card spread worked in - all 78 reversed cards each hold a PPF spread. (Given they are of a traditional kind of deck)

2) They are used to show solutions, warnings.
- meaning if you can't figure out what a certain card is telling you, reading it reversed as a PPF, will show you what you didn't see otherwise.

3) Using reversal meanings strictly as given in the LWB or in the larger author's book for that deck. Or applying reversals as set out by books covering that subject such as The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals, by Mary Greer.

4) Using the upright meanings, but looking at the card as something that needs more attention or is important in the person's life.

5) Using them as a signpost to direct you back to the previous card to relearn the lesson there.

6) Seeing it as strictly a reversed meaning of the 'upright' meaning of the card.

7) Seeing it as a blockage.

8) Looking at which way the picture of the character on the card is 'facing' so as to go back or forward to the cards around that particular reversed card to give more attention there.

That gives us 8 alternatives so far.
I recon we are using this thread to find issues of discussion and together make a table of content ?

By the way, Moongold came up with a great idea in Talking - a game called "what reversed card would show this scene?"

bec

What I see many times are that people are fixated in how many reversals are "aloud" in a spread.

I use the amount of reversals as an info used to do the reading:

this is taken from my reversal pages in Anjas Tarot::

How many reversed in one spread ?

I use these settings for an overlook at what the reversals means. Just like you would if there were many majors, courts or a specific suit.

0-50%
- this situation is familiar to querent and there for not the reason for the cards to be reversed.

50%
- this situation is fairly familiar to querent, but there might be some issues that is not known.

50-100%
- this situation is to some level unfamiliar to querent, or their life is turned up side down.

No need to get worried if the entire spread or a big part of it is reversed, this just gives an overall view on how to read the cards.

On the other hand, if there is say only one reversed in the spread, then you should pay attention to it - this could be telling where the problem is. For example if it lies in "past" position, then it could mean that the problem is living on the past or old issues that has not been taken care of yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dadsnook2000

Interest in Reversals

I use reversed cards, particularly in the Horoscope or House Spread where I treat them (often, but not always) as being like a retrograde planet. This seems to work well when a reversed card is one of two/several adjoining cards of the same number or suite (which I treat as a conjunction) or in the case of being six houses away as an opposition -- squares often involve one planet being retrograde also. As a long-time astrologer getting his feet wet in Tarot, this approach helps me to bridge across these two subject areas. As a simple way to get started I've adopted the Five D's that Mary Greer noted in her book; Delay, Diminution, Direct opposite, Dark side, Direction change. Anyways, I'm in. Dave.

bec

good to hear Dave,

and I can see that a "long-time astrologer getting his tarot boots wet" will have many great insights to share on this board.

Still I was hoping that a lot more would join us - but I guess we might just as well get started then.

Going to thinking boot here, late night, ready for bed - will think of a start tomorrow.

Sobeknofret

I'd love to join a reversals group. I read with reversals, because they add so much more meaning and richness to the spreads that I tend to use, but I'm still trying in some particular cases to move beyond the automatic "Reversals=Bad" mind set that I still find myself falling into sometimes. I particularly like HudsonGrey's system for reading reversals. Also, what about the idea that some decks, like the Thoth, are not meant to be read with reversals? Are there other decks for which reversals are not intended, or don' t work particularly well? Why not?

--Sobe

dadsnook2000

Reversals; different, not always bad

I've always used reversals since my first attempted/actual reading. Like you, I find an extra scope of richness in their usage. Lately I have been doing some mundane/political readings, unlike personal readings, in which reversal gave some nice insights that proved to be quite appropriate. These were posted on another list and concerned Bush, Saddam, the UN. My feeling is that a reversed card isn't bad as such but it is different. The cards, when upright, have a cohesive set of meanings. When a reversed card arises it represents a sort of imbalance, a glitch on the way to another level or area of development. A balance is most often achieved dynamically by a series of imbalances which may be either a ying/yang or recurring series, or a dramatic stumble which requires a crises-like reaction to restore a balance. The reversal seems to recognize our type of rebalancing challenge and how it attempts to keep us in the flow or to drop us out of our flow. That is sometimes needed, isn't it. The issue with "reversals" is not that we can't define them but that we have a challenge in how we synthesize them into our readings in such a way that brings us greater awareness and our clients greater understanding and help. How to fit the cards to a life? How to fit a life to a hope and a useful direction? How to fit one person to another? I'm sure you'll have much to share and I look forward to Bec's start on this thread. Check out her website. It has a lot of useful material. Dave.