Your Thoth study--then and now

Lillie

It's one of the best LWB's ever :)

Ambergree

Ok, figured this was a good place to post my 'Study Plan" for this deck.

I came across this tarot and was immediately drawn to the artwork itself. It seemed to embody my personal favorite early 20th century artists and art movements: Germany's Die Brucker and Blau Reiter, Kandinsky, Umberto Boccioni and the Italian futurists. Just as an art history buff I can see their influence in Ms. Harris' artwork, and for the artwork alone I chose to study this tarot.
I'm sure Crowley and his philosophies are equally interesting, but it was the art itself that gripped me so viscerally. I don't think I've ever been as captivated by any other tarot art. So here is my plan:

I purchased 2 versions of the deck, a pocket one and the large size. As soon as the large size comes in the mail I am trimming it. I am trimming all of the meanings and words and borders off of it, but still keeping it in order, of course. The pocket size one will come into use later, and will not be trimmed.

Every day I will spend a few moments with one card, writing and drawing my emotions and feelings from my first impressions. If there were cards learned before that one I will observe how the art interacts and my impression upon that as well.

It will only be after I make first impressions that I will read the LWB and Crowley's work.

The openness of the artwork seems to be more about personal interpretation than rote memorization, so I am trying to learn this one in a totally different way.

Sound good? Any suggestions?

gregory

Ambergree said:
Sound good? Any suggestions?
Someone who feels that you must read the BoT first will be along soon, I'm sure :D The study of this deck is one of the HOTTEST topics on this forum. Take a look at the Thoth subforum...

Bat Chicken

I had a reading done in '96 but I don't even remember the cards - just the experience. I knew nothing about Tarot and that was my first exposure and it stuck with me.

I had formally been introduced to Tarot by a friend in 2004. The Thoth was my second deck after the Haindl. The Haindl confounded me and there was a lot of 'meat' to the art of the Thoth and so I purchased it. I immediately got the sense that this was an intense deck and tried reading with it. The readings were always powerful and the deck scared me a little. I got the BoT but didn't have the patience to wade through it and I was a little put off by all the occult language. I ended up putting the whole thing aside. Then I did an IDS this last winter made me realize I needed to look at it again.

The experience so far has been like watching pieces of a puzzle fly around and fall into place. I really see things a little differently. I boldly picked up the BoT and with a little encouragement stripped away a few of my ideologies (ones I did not even realize I had) and opened up a rather interesting world. And yes, it is out of thin air, isn't it? ;)

This is just the beginning! :) And it has changed my experience of Tarot as much as my first relatively in depth study of the TdM did...